128 AGP vs. 256 PCI BUS video card???

MY Bro. and me were talking to day and we wear wondering what would be better for playing a game on. a 128 AGP Vs. 256 PCI video card. Know I know a AGP slot is faster but I think if you would put a 256MB PCI BUS video card in it would compensate for the slowness of the slot PCI slot. So pretty much what the way I think it should god (I really have know idea just a guess) is the 256MB PCI BUS would be the 128 AGP slot vide card.

Am I right or wrong?????

Well, the memory does acount for something. But you have to realize that AGP is a different port, running at different speeds. Any AGP card will beat any PCI card. PCI just uses a really old interface, and AGP is still of good use, although dying, and rather quickly I might add.

So the AGP will win. However, maybe if you compared a 256MB PCI card to a 32MB AGP card, you would be able to compare, but not a 256MB PCI against a 128MB AGP card.

Agreed!

Nowdays theres just no point in pci graphics cards, and agp is being taken over by pci-express. A worthwhile comparison would be a 256 6600 agp against a 128 6600 pci-e.

Iv heard that right now pci-express isnt being taking full use of. Just how big is the difference in performance between agp and pci-e?

Well, put it this way, the maximum throughput of a PCI bus is 133MB/s, AGP x 8 is around 2GB/s. Huge difference. And also the fact that all PCI slots share the same bandwidth, you looking at about 100MB/s depending on whats connected.

This plays a major part in performance. So, really, you can't compare the ammount of memory a card has to compinsate. Try Unreal Tournament 2003 on a Radeon PCI 256MB Card and compare it to a 64MB AGP version. The AGP version would win hands down.

As Jay says, there's no point in PCI Graphics cards today for home machines. The advantages of PCI Express over AGP are just being noticed with todays Highend cards. PCI Express 16x has a Bandwidth of 4GB/s, twice that of the AGP x8 Spec.

hmmmmm very interesting. ok here's another question what about a integrated video card. lets say a 64MB integrated Vs. 258MB PCI BUS. witch on would win?

Now, it depends on the GPU here. As most integrated GFx chips use the AGP bus to communicate with the northbridge. Some Mobo with integrated GFX, such as GF2MX integrated would outrun the same GPU on a PCI card. But, most GPU's integrated are of such low performance anyway, that some PCI GFX cards would be faster than them.

Back
Top Bottom