OS installation problem.

bill gisse

Baseband Member
Have a new homebuilt and can't get the OS (XP PRO ) installation to proceed any furthe than the first part up of set up. When I get that far and click ENTER go proceed to next part of Set Up, it starts over at the beginning andd just keeps on doinn it. Anybody have this experience? Need help. Thanks . Bill

What kind of hard drive do you have? SATA or IDE? Make sure jumpers are set correctly and install data cable on IDE1. For SATA, put it in SATA1 slot. Are you trying to configure RAID? I wonder if there's a problem with RAM at this stage? Hmmm...don't know for sure. I never had this problem before. Looking forward to seeing other post on how to solve this problem. Bad drive perhaps? *shrug*

I think I have...At the start it says that in 15 seconds it will restart your computer and carry on with your installation. Or you can skip it by pressing enter.

Well I was pressing enter everytime and it never worked. So I just left it to restart itself and it worked.

But I think your talking about a diffrent part of the installation....

When the computer keeps rebooting during setup, it usually is an issue with a hardware device- which one- that's the million dollar question. It could be memory (highly likely- You're on point with that TRDCorolla, as well as the hard drive). If you have two sticks of memory, take one out, and try to reload. If that doesn't work, try the opposite stick, and if that doesn't work, only use the necessities to boot the computer up- disconnect anything on the secondary IDE or SATA, as well as any secondary device on the primary IDE or SATA, and take out any PCI cards as well, and even the video card, and use the onboard to try to load. I have seen this before, any of the devices I have mentioned have caused this type of issue- if you take all the items out I've listed, and it still reboots- you may be looking at a power supply problem. Hope this helps :D

pctechmike said:
When the computer keeps rebooting during setup, it usually is an issue with a hardware device- which one- that's the million dollar question. It could be memory (highly likely- You're on point with that TRDCorolla, as well as the hard drive). If you have two sticks of memory, take one out, and try to reload. If that doesn't work, try the opposite stick, and if that doesn't work, only use the necessities to boot the computer up- disconnect anything on the secondary IDE or SATA, as well as any secondary device on the primary IDE or SATA, and take out any PCI cards as well, and even the video card, and use the onboard to try to load. I have seen this before, any of the devices I have mentioned have caused this type of issue- if you take all the items out I've listed, and it still reboots- you may be looking at a power supply problem. Hope this helps :D

Mike I've been messing with this problem for days now and I'm not getting anywhere. Your advice sounds the best I've recieved so far.What I don't understand is why does it it start out okay and them just keep repeating. Sounds almost like a defective CD but I've never heard of that. This is one of those OEM(Browm Pkg) OS CD's but that shouldn't make any difference. Recieve the following note during SETUP but don't know what it means, "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure Check Cable". Will try disconnecting everything today, did some of it before. Don't understand how I can remove the video card and still boot, I don't have an onboard video output for the monitor.

Will be in contact with you Mike, Thanks.

Take all hardware out, and use bare minimum for now, try using different video card and see if it gets any further

connchri said:
What version of windows are you trying to Install?

Some versions of the Installer (I think MCE 2005 being the only expection, but that may be included) don't have any SATA device drivers for installation. You need to put these onto floppy disc or another CD and keep an eye out during the start of the installation to press a key (can't remember which one, but it tells you) to load additional Drivers.

What stage does it get to during the Installation?

If it already gets beyoned what I said above, where does it fail. Is the media check for the CD with the installation media, or is it a HDD media failure (SATA drivers again?)

Hope this helps.

Other than that, I could do with a bit more information. Such as a step by step guide on what your doing.[/QUOTE

This is a new homebuilt with nothing on it. I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro adn can get only thru the first part. At the point where its finished loading files and says its finished the first part, it starts over again and just keeps doing this. There is a note at the beginning before inserting the OS CD that says"PXE-61:MEDIA Test Failure Check Cable" . I've reinstalled everything 4 times, installed new IDE and SATA cable also. Have swithched MEMORY sticks, run on one, borrowed a friends sticks and still nothing different happens. Power supply is okay to. Thanks for the interest. Have built several homebuilts but this is my first experience like this. Have had a lot bad experiences in 50+ years of electronics experience but this one has given me my biggest challenge. Went from the bench to management in 55 so my hands on experiences have been few and far betwenn since then.

pctechmike said:
Try going into BIOS and resetting everything to the default configuration. This may solve the error above. Here is something that may be able to help click here Can't hurt :)

You will have to check the motherboard documentation for which SATA connector is the primary. It should be the top (assuming you're talking about looking at the computer from the side, while it's standing up). It could be as simple as you having a bad cable. Try the link I gave, follow some of those steps, if it's still not resolved, post back. You can PM me also if needed.

Like that link, hope it helps. The HD I bought is an OEM version, brown box, no papers, nothin g. There aren't any jumpers on it so tha may be my problem. Was going to put a second HD in so tomorrow I'll be looking for a nw one. Will price them on NewEgg and then look in some of the local stores. Will keep in touch with you Mike and keep you posted. Thanks a lot. Bill

TRDCorolla said:
What kind of hard drive do you have? SATA or IDE? Make sure jumpers are set correctly and install data cable on IDE1. For SATA, put it in SATA1 slot. Are you trying to configure RAID? I wonder if there's a problem with RAM at this stage? Hmmm...don't know for sure. I never had this problem before. Looking forward to seeing other post on how to solve this problem. Bad drive perhaps? *shrug*
\

I've got a SATA Hard Drive. I assume the top Sata slot on the MOBO is number one, is that right.No, I'm not trying to configure RAID. I'd just like for it to get off first part of SET UP and move on to what ever is supposed to follow. You mentioned possibvle power supply problems, will make some measurements today and let you know. Thanks for your intrest, I need it.

What version of windows are you trying to Install?

Some versions of the Installer (I think MCE 2005 being the only expection, but that may be included) don't have any SATA device drivers for installation. You need to put these onto floppy disc or another CD and keep an eye out during the start of the installation to press a key (can't remember which one, but it tells you) to load additional Drivers.

What stage does it get to during the Installation?

If it already gets beyoned what I said above, where does it fail. Is the media check for the CD with the installation media, or is it a HDD media failure (SATA drivers again?)

Hope this helps.

Other than that, I could do with a bit more information. Such as a step by step guide on what your doing.

Back
Top Bottom