How do i make my own server

hystephen

Solid State Member
Hello friends

I just wondering tat how to make your own server, cuz i heard tat makin your own server is free, sooo I wondering tat i can make rpg, but i wasn't sure. Also im not good at comp, even though my career is bein A+ Certification!!!!

I hope u can help me

Your current computer can be a server. Any computer (well, almost) can be a server. If you're running Windows XP, it comes with a program called IIS (Internet Information Services) which allows you to turn it into a server- it's not installed by default, you have to add it from your original XP disc. If you're looking to build your own, you have different choices, but I would go with Apache- it's free, and comes with many Linux distro's, which are also free.

You open up a port and offer a service on that port. There's many different kinds of servers. What kind do you want to be?

pctechmike said:
Your current computer can be a server. Any computer (well, almost) can be a server. If you're running Windows XP, it comes with a program called IIS (Internet Information Services) which allows you to turn it into a server- it's not installed by default, you have to add it from your original XP disc.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure it's one of those things that only comes with XP Pro, and will probably die in a sea of error messages on XP Home. Knowing my luck, at least.

I personally got IIS working on Windows 2000 Pro, installing IIS and the whole server admin kaboodle (Active Directory, DHCP Manager etc.) from an evaluation version of Server 2000 my sysadmin at my school lent me. So there's something to consider.

pctechmike said:
If you're looking to build your own, you have different choices, but I would go with Apache- it's free, and comes with many Linux distro's, which are also free.

You can get Apache for Windows too. But most people would say go for Linux in terms of security and stability, even though it will be harder to set up.

malbuc87uk said:
You can get Apache for Windows too. But most people would say go for Linux in terms of security and stability, even though it will be harder to set up.

That I backup. Plus, it is more safer since hackers can enter with ease using Apache for Windows

malbuc87uk said:
I could be wrong, but I'm sure it's one of those things that only comes with XP Pro, and will probably die in a sea of error messages on XP Home. Knowing my luck, at least.

I'm not 100% sure it IIS comes with XP Home either- never have really used it, I only use XP Pro, which comes with IIS. I'm currently working on a server project of my own, and I have downloaded and installed Apache for Windows- it just looks wierd to me looking at Apache through Windows :D I think I'll stick with a Linux-based OS for setting up a server. I have successfully setup an FTP server using Linux before, and it worked pretty good too (with Red Hat) I just need to expand that knowledge.

You can easily build one or use your own computer. You would want to use Linux/Unix in my opinion...something like Redhat, if Windows then use Win2k3 Server.

if you know wht you are doing then it should be no problem at-all but if you are one of those people who dont get-on with this kind of stuff (like me) then get ready for some problems lol

Back
Top Bottom