s939 opterons

can u recommend some memory? cuz i dont really know what you mean by 500mhz. thanks.

also, besides raising clock speed, what does raising the multiplier do? is there any negative effects?

one more thing... is 1gb still enough if i turn off paging/virtual memory?

hey, i just posted this, and it came to the top of the thread. WTF?!?!

Contrary to popular belief, low latency memory does very very little to boost performance (talking about 1-2% here). But decent memory for overclocking (If thats what your gonna do) is recomended. Just get higher rated (550-600MHz) Crucial Memory. Its a solid brand. Never a problem. Have a look at thier Balistic range.

I'm pretty sure they do. I took a chance when I got mine, because mine had no support for Opterons without BIOS updates, and even then my specific one wasn't supported. But, it worked fine on the first BIOS. I wouldn't worry about it.

Glad to see you're interested! You won't regret it! :D

Jamxx said:
Glad to see you're interested! You won't regret it! :D
ya. im seriously considering getting the opteron 146. they have it at tigerdirect for like $199.(edit: dammit, they took it off.) ok well, then... how's the 144 at oc'ing?

also, does the venus core support 4x512mb ram? like in dual channel?

The Opteron 846 will not be supported by S939 mobos since they use the S949 boards

That's one example

Any Mobo with an Nforce4 chipset and a Skt939 will run any Skt939 opteron. I'm not sure about the other Skt939 platforums however, as some of the opterons run on a 1GHz HTbus instead of the usual 800MHz.

Also, great choice of CPU. An overclockers dream. Same core as the San Diago FX's, and they don't have their multipliers locked. This is like the modern day Barton 2500+.

There have been some reports of the 1.8GHz variant running at 2.6GHz on air cooling!

lhuser said:
The Opteron 846 will not be supported by S939 mobos since they use the S949 boards

That's one example
huh. i think u made 2 typos there. first, i was talking about an Opteron146. second, i dont think there is skt949. only 940.
and another error in your statement: the opteron146 that i was looking at before was, in fact, a s939. (sorry for going off on you)

connchri said:
Any Mobo with an Nforce4 chipset and a Skt939 will run any Skt939 opteron. I'm not sure about the other Skt939 platforums however, as some of the opterons run on a 1GHz HTbus instead of the usual 800MHz.

Also, great choice of CPU. An overclockers dream. Same core as the San Diago FX's, and they don't have their multipliers locked. This is like the modern day Barton 2500+.

There have been some reports of the 1.8GHz variant running at 2.6GHz on air cooling!

thanks for the reply. um, u were talking about the 146, correct? is the same pretty much true for the 144?

Yip, I guess the Opteron 144 and 146 will be identical, with just difference CPU ID tags. Same as the release of the Bartons. Instead of releasing different types of CPU's based on the same core, they release only one type and set their IDs depending on the market demand.

Altho, in saying that, the 146 has perhaps been tested to run more stable at higher frequencies than the 144. Try doing a google search on overclocking the new Skt 939 San Diago core Opterons. You'll find loads on it. I initially ordered system parts based on this before I got my Mac.

Back
Top Bottom