Linux version of steam..

Spec

Fully Optimized
Well as far as i know, linux does not run .exe files..so anyone know of a distribution of steam that runs on llinux? or a converter to run .exe to the proper format..

xzerox said:
Well as far as i know, linux does not run .exe files..so anyone know of a distribution of steam that runs on llinux? or a converter to run .exe to the proper format..

I know it may seem amazing that I know this, but linux uses WINE or WINEX. However, you need Active X plugin and that is impossible to find. What I used was cedega, from Transgaming. It costs 15 dollars a month if you want the latest version every month. We got the three month deal and had access to the latest versions for 3 months. ANyways, Counter-Strike worked great, but Counter-Strike: Source is hard to get to work. If you play CS 1.6 this works fine. Here's the link to download cedega from transgaming.

Wait, update: I just went to the site and apparently Counter-Strike:Source is working with cedega now! Here's the link anyways....

Transgaming!!

Wolf, he wants to play a game via Steam, a game running program. Yes, linux has wine, but wine, after 2 days over spring break of '05 up all day and night, eyes red and sore, trying to get counter-strike to work, I know more about WINE than ANYONE on these forums, I can guarantee it. It is BROKEN. So, cedega workd just fine. :) ;)

Oh yea and with Cedega a crap load of new games work like BF2! :) :cool:

Thanks, ill check those out as soon as i get linux working :\

I need to get my hands on cedega somehow, I hope I can manage to get it working decently with ubuntu.

ahhh that is one of the only problems with linux
those damn game companys dont make any games for it

Back
Top Bottom