Computer wont start. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey guys. I did a dumb thing and turned on my computer without having my HSF on. I have a Intel P4 530J 3.0GHz Processor. Right after I turned it on, about 10 seconds later, it shut down. I put the HSF back on, and it did the same thing. I tried this about 4 more times, none working. I then tried it about 2-3 hours later, and it got to the mobo screen and shut down. I tried again this morning, same thing. I'm just wondering what you make of this. Did I fry my CPU? If so, could anything else have been damaged? Also, is there any way I can fix it without buying a new CPU and/or mobo? Any help is appreciated. Feel free to laugh...I sure as hell did.

Thanks,
D

P4's are bad about frying if you leave the heatsink off too long- more than a second :(

If it did get to the BIOS screen, that's a good sign. I would remove the heatsink, remove all the thermal compound, and place some new thermal compound on the processor, and place the heatsink back on- you may get lucky. From it getting to the BIOS screen, there is only one of two things to beleive:
1. The processor was damaged, and you'll need to get another.
2. You just need to re-apply new thermal compound to the processor, and it works out fine. From the description, it seems like the computer is shutting down due to overheating. Doing as I described above should rule this out.

I hope it's the second option :) And no, I won't laugh at it (I've done it before), although it is good that you found humor in it.

Hey Mike,
First of all, thank you for the reply. I am very stressed right now, because I'm worried I damaged something other than my CPU. I am planning on getting a new mobo (and CPU of course), but I really dont need a dead vid. card or PSU or RAM, or HDD. So If anyone can help me determine if these things are damged, it is appreciated. Also, Mike I did try putting on new thermal compound and the HSF, and it still doesnt work. I even tried resetting the CMOS. It just gets to the mobo screen, and shuts down. I'll go down the list of my components, and please tell me if it sounds like it is working:
MOBO: When I turn on my PSU, the green light comes on the mobo, and stays on. When I turn on the computer, it gets to the mobo screen, beeps once, and shuts down.
CPU: Dont know...
RAM: I dont know how to tell if this is working. Could I test it on my Dad's Dell Dimension 4600? How do I know if it is compatible?
PSU: Well, my fans all turn on, stay on....The front panel lights work, the mobo green light turns on when switched.
HDD: I'm pretty sure this is working, the light on the front of the computer for the HDD turns on. I think the disc spins up on the HDD, but not sure (it has always been pretty quiet)
Video Card: Everything on the screen is displayed fine...Wouldnt a fried vid. card not show anything on the monitor?

ANY help is greatly appreciated, even if just one of my questions above is answered.

Thanks everyone.
D

Im pretty sure its the CPU that fried everything else seems ok, since its a prescott cores tend to run real hot.

Yeah, thats what I thought. And I did reset CMOS, still didnt work. I am taking it to Best Buy (Geek Squad) to have everything tested, to be sure.

Thanks,
D

Uh, well, good luck with that but I'd advise against it. They'll probably just mess something else up. Also, I noticed the guys over at CompUSA charge like 100 dollars for installing an OS and reformatting and everything... There's big money in that! :D

Well, I dont know what else to do man...And the Geek Squad specialize in repairing computers, as opposed to the sales guys on the floor. I would think when hired, they need to know a lot about PC's. So it's really my last hope I guess.

Thanks,
D

Well, then, go for it... But, I just wouldn't expect a whole lot. Who knows, though, maybe you'll get one of the smart geeks (isn't that ironic...).

I'm not saying your wrong. I just tihnk they prob. know more than me. And there are ways to test each component to see if they still work, correct?

Thanks,
D

Back
Top Bottom