Which Processor

jnthn205

Baseband Member
AMD Athlon 64 4000+

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

I dont know why, but i was looking at charts and tests of both of these and for some reason teh 4000+ out performs it in most tests. Here is a link to the test.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2...2/index.x?pg=4

I am confused on which one to get... and i plan to be gaming on it mostly...if you wanted to know.

that link doesn't work.

But I'd go for the x2. The reason the other one is better in most test is because only one game (FEAR) takes advantage of the dual core processing.
So atm that single core could be better for gaming, but as soon as more games start to take advantage of the dual core the x2 will be alot better.
And the x2 will be better at multitasking because of the 2 cores.

Yep go with the X2... but the X2 4200+ isnt really worth the price increase from the 3800+. You could get the 3800+ and overclock it.

Ok so you think I should get the X2 3800+ Right now the 4200+ is 358 at zipzoomfly and 362 at new egg. The 3800+ is 313 on newegg. Only about 50 more bucks...i can spare that, ill just get the 4200+ but thanks for the info guys. So let me make sure I understand this. Right now the 4000+ is faster becuase not many games take advantage of the X2...but in the future, the games will...and the X2 will be better. Is that right?

yep, atm the dual core gives very little (or none) increased performance while gaming, simply because the games can't use it properly.
But I'm guessing that more and more new games will start to take advantage of the dual cores soon, since many ppl now have them.

And u will notice a big difference in multitasking.

jnthn205 said:
Ok so you think I should get the X2 3800+ Right now the 4200+ is 358 at zipzoomfly and 362 at new egg. The 3800+ is 313 on newegg. Only about 50 more bucks...i can spare that, ill just get the 4200+ but thanks for the info guys. So let me make sure I understand this. Right now the 4000+ is faster becuase not many games take advantage of the X2...but in the future, the games will...and the X2 will be better. Is that right?

Sorry I live in Canada so the price difference here between the 2 is over 100 dollars... But if its 50 bucks then go for the 4200. I am going to get the 4400+ for my new rig. I am not sure how much more that is then the 4200+ but as of now the only benefits will be multitasking until games and programs catch up and take advantage of dual core. Hardware is always ahead of technology :rolleyes:

The Dual Core will future proof you for sure, and when games come out that support dual core, you'll be set.

Dual Core got my vote.

Why not a dual core Opteron, i.e the 165? I was convinced after reviewing all the specs between the 64, the x2, and the Opteron. The Opteron clocks a little lower, but that's due to it's server processor nature. They're designed to operate continuously for a VERY long time, so they underclock them. With moderate overclocking you can achieve x2 4200 clock speed EASILY, and have the 1 MB of L2 cache that you can't get unless you buy the x2 4400, that costs a $100.00 more, or the 64 4000+ single core that costs the same.

My vote goes for an Opteron 165

Back
Top Bottom