My overclock!!!

Well today I decided to put my new fans to good use! I went into my BIOS, and found the overclocking area. My motherboard apparently has the ability to autooverclock by certain percentages, or you can do it manually. The first time around I chose Auto overclock, and I chose the 10% margin.

That put my CPU at 3.08GHz, it didn't shut down or reboot or anything, which is very good, because that shows that it is stable. So I went into Windows XP, brought up ASUS Probe, and started recording the temperatures. I then decided to play BF2 to really stress the CPU. When I was playing it hit a high temperature of 69C, just 3C short of my thresh hold. So I rebooted, went into BIOS again, and set the autooverclock to 5%, rather then 10%. This time, the temps went to about the same, maybe 1C difference, but that is all. So I tried manually overclocking it, I set the FSB from 200 to 208, which gave it an overclock of 2.91GHz. I recorded the temperatures, still 69C when playing BF2.

So I came to the conclusion that I should overclock it just a tad bit higher to see what happens. I manually set the FSB or whatever it is to 210 this time, which now brings the frequency to 2.94GHz! A 140MHz increase. So I decided to play VF2 one more time to see what happens. And yuppers, 69C again!

So what do I do? I mean, either once my fan knows what temperature the CPU is it goes into overdrive, or something. Despite what clock speeds the CPU is at, it always goes to 69C, but never goes anyhigher, even when it's at 3.08GHz, a much higher overclock then the 2.91GHz, yet both produced the same temperatures. So, question is, can I safely go back to 3.08 GHz, or lower it back down to stock clock speeds of 2.8 GHz?

Well, it runs 52C idle, and now it hit 70C about a few hours ago. Nothing seems to be having any problems. It just stays at 69C no matter what. Really weird. It's really close to the thresh hold though, so I don't knwo what to do about that. Any ideas?

I think your only option is to either leave it as is and just hope you dont run into heat issues if you don't want to go back to the stock clockspeed. I am also assuming you dont want to spend more money on cooling but if you really want to overclock, water cooling is always a suggestion.

u should wait a while let the heatsink cool down or else the heatsink just heats up and ur getting inaccurate tem readings.

I never thought it could be the heatsink reporting bad temps. Oh well. After tonight I'll shut it down for 8 hours, reboot in the morning and see what I get. And yes, I DO NOT want to spend more money on cooling devices, I spent over $120 dollars on cooling devices not to long ago, so I want to use these before I switch to water cooling.

Back
Top Bottom