The switch to mac

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
My first thoughts of switching to mac was the fact that I really have stopped playing games, and really have switched more to graphics design (only 2d programs as of now but planning on getting into 3d modelling soon) from a gaming computer.

I would still keep my old computer, because who really can give up cs:s, bf:2, doom3 forever :-D. Anyways I was thinking about swithcing to mac and going with a powermac g5 (the 2ghz one), incited by the fact that i wanted a workstation and the fact that their arent too many viruses meant to take advantage of mac os x. The fact that it cost $2000 though lead me to beleive how much better a pc i could build for $2000 that would be a better workstation.

i know that you cant exactly compare mac specs directly to a computer running windows but for $2000 i could get a 7800 gtx (probalby just take it out of my current rig and replace it with a 6600), 2gb of corsair ram, a nice sli board, 250 gb hd, an amd 4200, and a nice case and good power supply. This system seems much more powerful then a powermac, and i dont really see any reason why the powermac g5 would be anymore efficent then this pc.

also this has alway been a question in my head. you hear about a lot of people building computers running windows and linux, but never really about people building their own mac. is this because the amount of hardware thats mac compatible is less then that of a pc or what?

Definatly switch to mac, theyre mush more stable. no viruses, great for graphic design and they are sexy!

rusbo.uk said:
Definatly switch to mac, theyre mush more stable. no viruses, great for graphic design and they are sexy!

Hahaha! Screw mac! Blah! This should be a Mac hating forum! Besides its computerforums.org.. Not macforums.org...

Well, I have just convertered to Mac. It's ok, just another platform to me but theres a few issues that I think you may have.

1st of all, completely ignore the G5 Macs. Overhyped and all the UK adverts were banned because of false advertisments. There not as powerful as the PC counterparts in the same price range.

Using Mac OS X is a big difference too. I find Finder (Macs 'Windows Explorer') hugely lacking in power and I easily get frustrated with it when it takes so much more to do simple tasks such as creating a shortcut. I started a write up about my change to mac - a complete unbiased approch, so once I finish it, I'll post it somewhere.

A dual core AMD system would be best suited to graphics. Also, on the Stability issue, Mac users continue to compare to pre Windows XP versions of windows, I have actually found the Mac to crash on me a few times. It's not all the seemless multi-tasking like they make out. My desktop - made completely of spares (Athlon 850, 192MB RAM, Integrated GFX, 2 IBM HDD's[80GB,160GB] cheap Aopen CDRW/DVD) has NEVER crashed, not once. Altho, I'll admit, thats the 1st PC I've had that hasn't - But I don't like crap on my PC.

Keep to the PC.

Oh, Macs should be allowed here. God, people should learn the definition of a PC. A Personal Computer. A Mac IS a Personal Computer, Along side my old Commodore 64.

Now, anyone want to by my iBook? only 2 weeks old.

Macs are sooooooooooooooooooo expensive. They arent THAT bad. They are soo soo. Ive never used linux. The macs in school are probably the slowest things EVER!!!!!

Linux is amazing. Definetly an OS you'd want to use if you like stability. This is why so many servers use Linux OS, what distro varies though, over Windows Server OS. Linux is interesting. It's something you should try if you want an alternative to crashes...

Mac is the way to go for computer graphics, trust me. I use them at school. Just be sure to get plenty of RAM, I'd say atleast a gig. Like, in Corel Painter, taking a 8.5x11" image at 300 DPI, try doing bevel world with 512mb of ram... I hope you like waiting 15 minutes! hahha

YES!!! the mac g5 is overpriced and over hyped..my dad does video editiing and got one 2 weeks after it game out Dual proc 2.0ghz 2 gb ram 500gb hd ....ITS TRASH AND OVER PRICED i hate it..thats why i got my own PC. do not buy a g5 ever they are horrible

Back
Top Bottom