ZoneAlarm?

Kage said:
My friend is a hacker (well he practises, but not dangerously), and tried to hack mine and couldn't. It just kept stopping him

Well no offence intended, but he sounds like a script kiddie (newbie) as I have 15 years experience in Computer cracking/hacking and I can easily force many Routers, Firewalls and other software/hardware to crash etc.

The chances of a 'TRUE' hacker trying to gain access to your home network however is next to none, as they have no interested in this type of newbie undertaking. It's likely that most of the people trying to gain access to home networks are newbies, script kiddies etc and some ISPs port scanning for open proxies etc.

My advice is to do some research on internet security then you can decide the best options that suite your situation.

BullDog(UK)

I would only use, AVG AntiVirus, McAfee Security senter+AntiVirus+Firewall (I use that all the time at home, i have no probs and it gives me updates 2 times a day.) Nortan Crap Antivirus (Its ok, does its job)

BullDog(UK) said:
If your behind a Router on Broadband, then zonealarm is ok, BUT <--- big but. If your not behind a Router then don't use Zonealarm as it's very easy for someone to force Zonealarm to shut down, it's a common issue that they've not fixed.

Try something like Kerio personal firewall 4.2.2 or similar.

BullDog(UK)

I am in the process of negotiating with my modem manufacturer to get a modem/router, as this one is crap. So i should wait until i recieve that before using ZoneAlarm?

Thanks,

Matt

No, Zonealarm is better than nothing (I suppose) so install it.

When you've got the Router you have more internet security as the NAT (network address translation) and in some cases SPI (stateful packet inspection) features built in the Routers make it more difficult for someone to gain access to your LAN (local area network), but to be on the safe side leave the software firewall installed aswell.

If you are setting up wireless connections to the Router make sure you use WPA security, I'll explain that in more detail if needed.

BullDog(UK)

I am currently using the Windows firewall and have amazingly not had a problem as yet, i am waiting for a reply regarding my router, which i hope will arrive in the coming weeks.

Matt

i think windows firewall only works one way if i remember correctly as for zone alarm ive used it before and ive got no complaints about it

YOur best best is to have Zone Alarm Firewall, WIndows Firewall turned On, a router, and a bunch of antivirus and antispyware programs. Nothing beats a triple firewall!

Back
Top Bottom