Building a new Computer, need help and lots of it

Nitrobuggies

Beta member
OK im only 17, but blessed with a dad who works :D

I currently have a hunk of junk as a Computer and am building my first computer from scratch. I want a computer that will destroy the earth, i want power power power and nothing 2nd rate.

I know i dont really need the most powerful PC but for years i have been stuck with a cheap thing that can only manage 2fps on 3DMark05.

I have chosen to go AMD over intel, as i like the look of their processors.

So far i have purchased
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo, its a very nice Mobo
A 19" Widescreen Display, 12ms refresh rate
1 300GB Maxator 16MB cache Sata 3GB/s harddrive. I am going to get anothe 2 of these and 1 or 2 74GB 10,000rpm drives and run it in Raid 0+1

So the question i have is what should i be looking at for the rest of the Computer?

I was thinking of the FX60 CPU and i was going to buy a better Heatsink and fan (what one do you guys recomend) and OC to 3GHZ if it stays stable anough

What RAM should i get? i want 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM. I have been looking but just get lost when they talk about latencys etc etc. So what would u say was the best one to get?

Also Graphics gard is another hard one, I love Nvida as a brand (one reason i got a Nvida chipset Mobo) and was thinking is the 7800GTX 512MB version worth the money, and is it worth having it in SLI as if i got a 512 i would only get one at the start and buy another a few months lata? or would i be better of with 2 x 7800GTX 256MB?

The last thing i have to ask is about Cases and PSU? I am thinking of the Thermeltake Armor range, in black with a transparent side pannel. Is there a better case for cooling and noise? also what type of PSU would i need for this computer? is their one brand that is better than the other?

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and any help would be greatly apreciated

lol i wish i had a dad like yours, anyways back to your question.

For the case i would go with anything by Thermaltake (just make sure if you go with a water cooler case that you know how to hook everything up) a good site to look at is www.xoxide.com for cases.

For the memory i would go with Corsair XPS memory just make sure if your going to be gaming you get at least a 1GB.

I would go with the 2 256MB grapics cards.

For the PSU you MUST get an SLI compatible PSU, it should say if it is or not on the site you are buying it from.

Processor looks good, and for the heatsink go with one by thermaltake, the Venus 12 is a nice one

tractorboy said:
Is your family open for adoptions ?

hahhah lmao!

but to the point.
Either get the FX60 or then an amd x2 4800+
The fx60 will be better for games, the x2 will be better for multi-tasking.
But they are both so awesome processors that both of them will be great for gaming and multitasking.

For ram I'd go with OCZ platinum, not sure if they make 1GB sticks. If not then get 4x 512.

I'd get a 7800GTX 512mb vid card. One will be enough for all of the newest games, and then when it doesn't have enough power u can buy another one. So one of those is enough for now, but u might want to think about getting two since then later when u want to get another one u might have to pay for it :p But ATM one 7800GTX 512mb is just something that u can't describe with words.

And for the case just get something that has a few fans and looks cool. I'd say that antec P180 is one of the best cases around. And for the psu just make sure that it is tested with SLI and that it has a huge wattage since the beast u are building needs alot of juice.

wozelbeak said:
just wondering why so much HDD?
woz

No one ever has a reason for all of their hard drive space, they just get it so they can feel like bigger men and say "Yeah well mine is bigger then yours!" lol

This RAM seems good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486

Also, if you have surround sound speakers..get this sound card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188

Here is a guide to help you build if you dont know how
http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2&sid=5

When you get a fan, you will need thermal paste. I hear Artic Silver 5 is good for it. But there are soo many diff kinds of it, i have no idea which one is right.

For overlocking questions, see 99nasha, he is the overclock guru :D

cpu- get the fx-60 or x2 4800:D
ram- get 2 gigs dual channel, if u can find it and afford it get Muskin Redline ram its pc4200 i think...its supposedly the best overclocking and gaming ram out
video card- get one 512mb 7800gtx, so u have the option to upgrade in the future.
sound card- get a sound blaster, up to you: i suggest the x-fi pro or elite
case-i hghly recommend that thermaltake armour case,seeing how thermaltake is kickass.
cooling: I suggest a Scythe SCNJ-1000 Ninja heatsink for the cpu.
I would suggest getting a tv tuner card if your into that...

Go with the X1900 it totally owns the 7800GTX 512 on single setup plus its cheaper and has a newer type of chip!!

Back
Top Bottom