iPod or Creative Zen?

:D I can't wait for tommorow now, as this firmware will be going straight on!

I do wonder though with any player. Do you know for example, when you first start it up when you get it and theres still half a battery, etc left? Is it safe to use that before recharging? OR is it best to recharge it first to maximize life? i.e, it lowers the time the battery will last or something.
I've always wondered that...

It is in topic, kind of :p

PLUS:

I've heard theres a plugin for the new player to allow for pictures on the device to beat to the music. Probably the album art, etc. Don't know what use it is, but I'll try and find it :)

I've not heard anything about the new plug in, so I couldn't comment or help you out there, sorry

As for charging it, it wont make any noticable difference to the life of the battery how or when you charge it - 2006 technology now :p. Usually they come with a good charge in them. My two did anyway.

Now I'm envyous, I want one!

Which Creative player have you got?

And thanks for the battery info. Thats sort of ressasured me, because I was always worried that the charge it first comes with shouldn't be used without trouble, since they don't charge it when the batteries manufacturered, unless Creative check the device before packing it...

Anyhow, hehe, I just heard about that plugin on a website. So i'll look more into it. I wasn't asking you to or anything :p

One tihng I like most is the ability to side scroll albums etc, if you want to just view the album art to select them, as the scroller has left and right as well as up and down functions. Useful if you ask me :D
So it has rows instead of just a list.

Had two Creative Zen Micro's. One 5GB, the other 6GB. I don't hold that much anyway. Only the music I'm into at that point. Then handed them down to my little Bros.

I don't know anything at all about that plugin but as it's not from creative, I'd be wary about putting it on a new media device. Especially if it tampers with the firmware/BIOS. Could have ir-reversable damaging affects.

Question for you, How did you become a Mod?

Yeah, probably imagined it would be rather useless anyway.

And what you mean? :p I just... helped people alot and got known. You saying I'm not good? :eek: :p

Not saying that at all, lol. I read the date you joined wrong (2005, instead of 2004). Makes more sense now. Was wondering why you had so many posts for only being here for 2 months, lol.

:p Hehe.

I tried updating my mums Zen Micro (4gb) firmware by the way to the Play For Sure, and would have done it, but it asked to format the drive first, so I decided to cancel.
So its definietly better to get it when you first get the device.

Its a shame though that alot of people don't bother looking for firmware, as it improves it so much.

I never meant for it to sound as if I'm angry, but I was just conserned because some of the users on here are big mac/apple fans and they may take it as an attack against the ipod. Now, to be truely honest the day I buy a Creative mp3 player is the day they come out with one that has 60gb's. Then I'll be happy. untill then I'm glad I can store my library on my ipod.

Chris

Yeah hehe, though 30gb is plenty for me, since my other player was 20gb, and that was only just filling up (with data also), so it depends what you want I guess. In surveys carried out, alot of people don't need 60gb, but they'll probably bring one out soon.

As for the Creative Zen Vision M, it came today :D

Its great, and its just recharging now, since it wouldn't let me update firmware with it in the state I got it in (battery was on one bar):p

Still, i played the videos, and the colours, etc are as crisp as anything I could hope.
The picture quality is also great, with vibrant colours and a kewl zoom in feature. Though I have to agree that its a bit sluggish when it comes to loading the thumbnails, though its not a big issue.

Music quality now, the most important bit.
The sample music is useless with bass levels not even speaker shaking. Though I docked it, and put some of my own stuff on (which worked by dragging and dropping into My Computer, though wouldn't let you create folders, etc, though the firmware will fix that) and the bass on those are excellent!!! Though, I'm a bit confused about the EQ... If I make a custom one with Bass Boost on, and the bass levels on full, it distorts, but the standard ones work fine.
Again, it may be a firmware issue.

Now, dragging music onto the device using USB 2.0 was not as fast as I'd of liked, with 1 song taking approx 3-5 seconds to upload. My older player I remember was slightly faster than that.

Buttons around the sides of the touch one seem a bit stiff at the moment, but I've heard those will wear in better as I use it, and do take a bit more pressure thean I would think to press them. The Creative Micro had touch buttons, but they seem to have taken these out.

Another little niggle is the side scroller buttons. They work good for scrolling through songs, but don't seem to work when you want to go through videos or pictures... I would have thought it would have countered as a side scroller moving sideways, yet you still have to use the up and down touch buttons to scroll sideways, to then go down within the menu. Not a big thing, but it would have helped.

Oh, and even though the up and down keys produce clicks when moved about, the side ones don't :( :p

But overall, I am very happy with it :) And I will be putting my collection onto it in around 2 hours!!! Its time to start getting my music ready I think...

I'll report on battery life at a later date. Any questions will be welcome, hehe

EXTRA:

Music doesn't take as long to upload once you start sending more tracks to it.
Video conversion is very fast!!!

I'VE SUCCESSFULLY TRICKED MY PLAYER!:

Well, I had a player before which catorgarised stuff in Folder structures and not about the ID3 tags. So I've sort of achieved the same type of thing with this one that catorgarises in Artist/Album/Genre.

If you go into the Artist, and then select that, it then displays Albums, and after that the tracks.

So I've made it like a folder structure by calling the Genre on ID3: eg. My Music. Then as the Artists on the ID3: eg. Kage.
and then the title as normal, so that it displays on the screen the same way as it would on a PC with a folder structure.

I've simply then just made Genre the main music finder!
Kewl huh?

BATTERY LIFE:

I did a test that I finished last night:
Final time was 13 hours 17 minutes, using my real time test conditions. Creative states 14 hours. Not bad at all.

You can finds the report here:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=dap&message.id=124996&page=3

Kage said:
Yeah, but there you go. I mean, Itunes is a good program. I have used it, but thats only to play music on my computer.

I'd find it very hard to syncronise my music using it, and especially syncronising pictures from my Pictures, which I dont store them on, and videos which you have to buy on Itunes unless there are some clever methods that the manual doesn't tell you of getting them on. I tried many different movies, even Quicktime files on a mates I was staying with, and it wouldn't accept them!

Just wait though a year or so, and ask your daughter how much life shes getting from it. i'm sure for one thing liek most, she wont care about the naff audio quality.

I'm sorry about my last post by the way at the bottom, but I do get really stressed at people choosing Ipods over something good... again, my opinion, but you know?!

Well your not too bright then since you can sync from any photo file and their are countless video converters which are free... so why dont you do some research before making stupid generic blanket statements that every generic ipod user has ever made.....also google video has format to donaload to mpeg 4 for every video and their are hundreds of videos there for FREE.

Back
Top Bottom