First Time Build questions

Jk

In Runtime
Hi everyone, Im starting to get tired of my old dell so im going to start building a comuter pretty soon (probaly in about a month). Im going to use some parts from my dell but i plan on upgrading that soon after. Heres how I think its going to be like.

Case: Ultra wizard with 350w psu
Motherboard: Asus a8n-sli premium
CPU: Athlon 64 3200
Memory: Corsair Value select (2 x 512)
Hard Drive: 20g Ide (from dell)
Cd Drive: Dvd burner (i think its an aopen)

and thats about it, no pci cards or anything just the minimum.

Now i was wondering about the case. I have read about people with the wizard case were having problems with the cpu duct lining up with the CPU. Will the A8N-SlI line up?

I've also heard that the A8N-Sli is picky with memory, The value select is kinda cheap (84.00) does that mean that it isn't compatible?

Now about installing the OS, will Me or 98 work with this setup because I need to install one of those first so I can "upgrade" to XP?

After I install the OS do I install the cd that comes with the Motherboard or do I have to go to the internet and get drivers?

Thanks for any help.

You're going to need a beefier power supply. If you plan on running dual graphics, you should go with AT LEAST a 400 watt PS.

The motherboard is nice, but personally, I would downgrade the motherboard to the basic A8N-SLI board and use the savings to get the 3700 processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524

I can't imagine that you'd run into any problems with the Corsair RAM, but computers are funny things, so anything can happen. If you're really worried about it, then up your price a little bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450

I'm not sure about the OS, but according to AMD, their Athlon 64's are compatible with ME and 98. That should be good enough to get you upgraded.

Jk said:
Now i was wondering about the case. I have read about people with the wizard case were having problems with the cpu duct lining up with the CPU. Will the A8N-SlI line up?

I believe the A8N-SLI is an ATX motherboard so it will need an ATX compatible case. Maybe you can look up some info on that case to see if it is in fact ATX compatible.

I've also heard that the A8N-Sli is picky with memory, The value select is kinda cheap (84.00) does that mean that it isn't compatible?

I don't think it's picky with memory but personally I do recommend spending a little more on better memory. Considering that you said you're going with a "bare-minimum" approach might I suggest only buying 512mb of RAM. Unless you're big into gaming (which I am assuming you're not because I dont see a graphics card in your list) 512 will be enough. So go that route and buy a good stick of 512mb memory instead of the 1024mb.

Now about installing the OS, will Me or 98 work with this setup because I need to install one of those first so I can "upgrade" to XP?

Yes you can definitely install ME or 98 but I am not sure why you're doing that first before you upgrade to XP.

After I install the OS do I install the cd that comes with the Motherboard or do I have to go to the internet and get drivers?

All driver's needed will come with the motherboard, however they will be outdated so upgrading drivers is highly recommended after you install them.

Well the reason Im upgrading is so I could start doing some gaming. If i wanted to play css on my dell I doubt that a 800mhz celeron will play it. I don't have a job so im just trying to get a setup that will give me some upgradability so I could upgrade it up one piece at at time. I don't plan on running dual video cards anytime soon so that psu would do fine right? I don't think that I could afford the 3700+ even if I downgraded the motherboard so i will stick with the 3200+ until I upgrade. The case is atx compatible but ive heard about problems where the motherboard fits right but the cooling duct for the cpu dosent line up with the cpu. I have a windows xp cd that my brother said you have to have a version older than xp to install it but im not sure how true that is, but if it is true I have a me cd that i can install and then upgarde to xp. If I were to be playing games like css or halo what would you reccomend 1024mb of xms memory or a good 512? And if a 512 would be better then what 512 would you reccomend? And also what would I gain from swiching from value select memory to XMS?

This is the case i am looking at
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1187017&CatId=1520

Back
Top Bottom