Help me choose a processor

EricM

Daemon Poster
I am really confused now as to what to get for my cpu on my upcoming build. I was heading towards the X2 until i read a post comparing it to the Pentium D. And the post was filled with arguments and Im sure there was good info in there but I didnt wanna read through all of the stupid arguments. So my question is... X2 3800, X2 4400 or go with a pentium d. I will be using the computer for a bit of gaming, music editing, some video editing and some other stuff. I am not too familiar with the Pentium Ds, but as of now I always thought the x2 was better.

EricM said:
I am really confused now as to what to get for my cpu on my upcoming build. I was heading towards the X2 until i read a post comparing it to the Pentium D. And the post was filled with arguments and Im sure there was good info in there but I didnt wanna read through all of the stupid arguments. So my question is... X2 3800, X2 4400 or go with a pentium d. I will be using the computer for a bit of gaming, music editing, some video editing and some other stuff. I am not too familiar with the Pentium Ds, but as of now I always thought the x2 was better.

Get an X2 3800 and overclock it to 2.5 ghz. That is a speed slighter higher than the X2 4800+ and you'll save 500 dollars.

But is the toldeo core any better then the manchester? And can i overclock it to 2.5ghz with stock fan?

EricM said:
But is the toldeo core any better then the manchester? And can i overclock it to 2.5ghz with stock fan?

Well, the Toledo is a bit better than the Manchester...

Overclocking to 2.5 on stock fan wouldn't be a good idea. On the XP-120 you could reach that speed. Heck, even the XP90 is enough.

Well, just to clarify, the arguing was between me and Quinton if I'm thinking about the right thread. But, I made a new thread comparing the Pentium D 955XE to the Athelon 64 X2 series CPUs. Check it out. It's called, AMD Athelon 64 FX60 Toledo Review. I posted a lot of good stuff in I think for the most part. Give that a look to see how the X2 series CPUs stack up towards the Pentium D series processors.

Also, try taking a look at the Opteron 170 Denmark. From what Quinton has said in a previous thread, it's quite amazing. So look into that one as well!

the XP-120 is officially discountinued. Your best bet right now will be a XP-90c or a TT BT and Scythe Ninja. And 3800+ do come in Toledo and Manchester. Its just luck of the draw. ;)

That's a shame...the XP-120 is nice. I'm using the SI-120, and it's pretty nice too. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon is probably the only good Thermaltake cooler...the rest suck.

Back
Top Bottom