Network. Router? problems.

studioki

Beta member
Lets see if any of you brilliant people can help me earn points with my girlfriend. I am trying to set up our internet connection with a router. My wonderful desktop is working just fine. Her stupid lap top however keeps on getting a message that says limited or no connectivity. I have been randomly disabiling things, firewalls etc, but nothing seems to work. After looking through the norton log i found this error every time I plugged in the ethernet cord. "Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter" It then lists her network card "Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller - packet scheduler miniport" and then an IP adress in parenthesis. If anyone could help me get her connected to the internet it would be much appreciated.

Uninstall the POS Norton- go with a free program that works much better, called Avast!
You can get it at www.avast.com- the Home Version is Free.
It sounds as if Norton is completely blocking the network connection at the network card. If you can get into Norton configuration settings, and allow your network, or worst case, allow all networks, you should be able to connect. The first option is a better one. I never like Norton, and I'v seen too many people have viruses, with Norton installed, and up-to-date. I would never pay for something that didn't do it's job!

I would rather use Norton than a free virus scanner AND having said that, for some strange reason not one virus scanner removes ALL the viruses, the same hold s true for spyware and trojans. It is not unusuall for me to spend 8 + hours disenfecting a pc, running up to 3 programs from each catagory + online removers. I just do not have confidence in the possible lack ( i said possible) of R and D of a free product as opposed to a purchased one . That also does not mean just because you pay for a product it is good. What Norton product is this... if it is internet security there should be an option to configure the networks that are found.

Just to clarify, the reason I dislike Norton so much is that I've seen many customer issues, just like this one, that Norton just decided to stop letting something through- that it is supposed to. From the description, Norton is to blame, for not letting the network card communicate with the router, due to the firewall, or other settings. I won't even get into details about the email client side issues with Norton. I've been using Avast! for over a year, haven't been infected- and believe me, Avast! is tested on a daily basis. I can understand you feel better about a program that you purchased, but possibly disregarding a great free program, that's better than the one you spent $50+ on, I just don't get it. You should test Avast! out :)

If the guy has an legit ip address, he IS communicating with the router. If he is getting the default 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ..then he is probably not...Start->run->(cmd)->ok...type ipconfig, if its a 192.....ping the gateway..

studioki said:
Her stupid lap top however keeps on getting a message that says limited or no connectivity.

He is computer is not able to communicate with the router- his DHCP server.
In this case, he's going to have a 169.xx address.

Back
Top Bottom