CPU-Z is giving me wrong speed (I Hope)

Cotty D

Beta member
Hi Guys,

I have a 3.4 Ghz cpu and my mobo is an Asus P5GPL-X.

I was wanting to start to overclock my processor so i installed CPU-Z and some other programs such as everest and sandra.

In CPU-Z it says that my CPU Multiplier is 14x when the default is 17x. This brought my speed down from 3.4 to about 2.8 but in cpu-z the speed and the voltage were always fluctuating At first i thought that maybe speedstep was enabled so i checked in BIOS but it wasn't.

In everest and sandra they read my CPU as being 3.4 instead of 2.8. Is this a problem with CPU-Z or is it something that I havnt found?

My idea is that there is something called CPU Lock Free that i have read in my mobo manual. This says that it reduces my multiplier from 17 to 14 in order to allow more flexibility when increasing external FSB. However i cannot find this CPU Lock Free option anywhere. It says it should be under JumperFree Settings but i am yet to find it.

Any ideas???? Thanks Dan

Cotty D said:
Hi Guys,

I have a 3.4 Ghz cpu and my mobo is an Asus P5GPL-X.

I was wanting to start to overclock my processor so i installed CPU-Z and some other programs such as everest and sandra.

In CPU-Z it says that my CPU Multiplier is 14x when the default is 17x. This brought my speed down from 3.4 to about 2.8 but in cpu-z the speed and the voltage were always fluctuating At first i thought that maybe speedstep was enabled so i checked in BIOS but it wasn't.

In everest and sandra they read my CPU as being 3.4 instead of 2.8. Is this a problem with CPU-Z or is it something that I havnt found?

My idea is that there is something called CPU Lock Free that i have read in my mobo manual. This says that it reduces my multiplier from 17 to 14 in order to allow more flexibility when increasing external FSB. However i cannot find this CPU Lock Free option anywhere. It says it should be under JumperFree Settings but i am yet to find it.

Any ideas???? Thanks Dan

Show us a screen shot of your CPUz, if you could please.
Also, CPUz gets its info directly from your bios. So, it could be that your bios is reading your processor incorrectly.

sigh* Intel and their dumb speedstep. It is at 14x because you are not stressing the cpu. When you run Prime95, you will see the 17x. Download GCPUID and it should tell you the max multi.

ownage said:
sigh* Intel and their dumb speedstep. It is at 14x because you are not stressing the cpu. When you run Prime95, you will see the 17x. Download GCPUID and it should tell you the max multi.

So negative (read, fanboy carryon)

Tell me, whats so big a differences that makes AMD's "Cool 'n' Quiet" technology not 'dumb' compared to intels speedstep?

Not saying that AMD's method is better or worse (I personally think it's better) but this is the sort of things that start flame wars!

Okay, incase you havent noticed, i have been supporting Intel in their 65nm processors. So dont call me an AMD fanboy because im not. Cool 'n' Quiet isnt bettter at all. It does the same thing. They are both dumb.

Yeah I promptly disabled cool and quiet as soon as I bought my processor. Useless!

Back
Top Bottom