iPod or Creative Zen?

Though with a Creative, you also have to use it's software...

Which to me is just as annoying.
But, it is alot more user friendly since its made just to port music over, so you just select what music you want, change the file names/genre etc, and then it ports them over to the player like lightning. So its not really a bad thing.

Though if you have Windows Media Player, it can be set to work with this and thats alot better in my opinion, though I've never sorted out librarys using this, so I'd probably just use the ZEN software.

I'm wondering though if using Windows Media playuer, i'd be able to listen to the music, because with my mums Zen Micro, I don't tihnk it works in the same way (though I haven't tried it), and you can't use the expllorer to open in Media Player, so you have to use its own software to play the music. That sucks really...

Though if it works with Media Player to port tunes over, I guess there is way to make it play them too.

One thing that is also good is that you can select an amount of storage to use for removable media, like to put work on, etc, and that seems to work fine, though you can't if you run out of space, change the partition size without formatting.

Kage said:
Though with a Creative, you also have to use it's software...

Which to me is just as annoying.
But, it is alot more user friendly since its made just to port music over, so you just select what music you want, change the file names/genre etc, and then it ports them over to the player like lightning. So its not really a bad thing.

Though if you have Windows Media Player, it can be set to work with this and thats alot better in my opinion, though I've never sorted out librarys using this, so I'd probably just use the ZEN software.

I'm wondering though if using Windows Media playuer, i'd be able to listen to the music, because with my mums Zen Micro, I don't tihnk it works in the same way (though I haven't tried it), and you can't use the expllorer to open in Media Player, so you have to use its own software to play the music. That sucks really...

Though if it works with Media Player to port tunes over, I guess there is way to make it play them too.

One thing that is also good is that you can select an amount of storage to use for removable media, like to put work on, etc, and that seems to work fine, though you can't if you run out of space, change the partition size without formatting.

Well, I went about it in the oposite way, lol. Just hooked the thing up, installed the basic driver - the one that lets you recognise it and thats about it, downloaded the 'play for sure' bios update for it (note, you don't need this for it to work without the Creative software though, just makes life a lot easier) and thats all I did, and as you mentioned, I use it seemlessly with WMP. Without Windows getting raped by 3rd party software.

The new Bios makes it a lot easier to use on other machines too. It removes the need for the driver that I had to initially download. All Windows XP machines recognise it now that I have updated the BIOS, without the need for any software or drivers. It allows WMP to fully integrate with it on any machine you plug it into and you can also browse, delete and add files through Windows Explorer. Agian, just by plugging it in without any software.

Get the new 'Play for Sure' Flash/BIOS update for it, then you'll be able to browse it and playback the tunes through explorer.

I don't think I ever have installed the Creative software for it. I hate unessesary 3rd party software.

There's one thing I hate about these topics, they always end up as a "Mines better then yours" between Creative users and iPod users. I find there's alot of things said here that make me a bit angry, so to say the least I would suggest to a mod to lock this. If anybody ever wishes to know which one to get they can search the forum, or if something new has come out, make a small post and let people reply, but if it turns into something like this, then I would suggest locking it. I know it's just everybodys opinions and stating what they're mp3 player can do and what the other can't. But really, people can get mad. Such as myself. Now, all I have to say about this is, I would be a creative owner only if they had a 60gb media player, such as the Zen:m. But they don't so I own a 60gb ipod video, it works great for me, and I personally can't see anything that would be able to replace it.

Chris

draconum said:
There's one thing I hate about these topics, they always end up as a "Mines better then yours" between Creative users and iPod users. I find there's alot of things said here that make me a bit angry, so to say the least I would suggest to a mod to lock this. If anybody ever wishes to know which one to get they can search the forum, or if something new has come out, make a small post and let people reply, but if it turns into something like this, then I would suggest locking it. I know it's just everybodys opinions and stating what they're mp3 player can do and what the other can't. But really, people can get mad. Such as myself. Now, all I have to say about this is, I would be a creative owner only if they had a 60gb media player, such as the Zen:m. But they don't so I own a 60gb ipod video, it works great for me, and I personally can't see anything that would be able to replace it.

Chris

Sorry, I just had to re-read the entire thread to see what you could take so much to heart and get angry at. The only thing I could guess you are getting angry at is Kage is perhaps being a little aggressive on his opinions in a few posts. But even then a only marginally, which any mature person should be able to tolorate!

People are posting their own views and opinions, no-one has particularly flamed anything as of yet. Infact, you may have just infact started that right now! I agree, this should perhaps have an eye kept on it, but no need to close it.

What I'd like to know is what angers you? enlighting me.

If you can't respect other peoples freedom of speach and opinions (You basically just stated you can't without getting angry) you really shouldn't be on a forum. If you seem not to like it, don't bother even opening the thread. That simple. Welcome to the free world!

Some people, and some masses of people, have the opinion that not just a bigger storage capacity validates how great a product is. Thats why Creative, just like Apple, have won a few awards. Heres a link. With being able to use more file format too, the 30GB Zen player could quite possibly hold just as much footage timewise as the Ipod - being restricted to certain file formats (to a few people - also a -tive point)

Creative Awards

Also, you don't get this problem with a Zen - One I've avoided a few times because I have a Zen. They are far more flexible.

Problem

Let nip this in the but now. Not the thread, but your flaming!

Perhaps the only thing that could really comment on being severely offensive is the following. Hence the reply.

pink_floyd said:
hold on your running windows? made my microsoft why would you buy a peice of hardware made by your OS' main rival? hello? stupidy (no offence)

Thats the same as calling American people stupid for buying MP3 players not designed in America (like the iPod) and instead going for ones designed in Japan - for not supporting there own economy.

Some people are not diluded fanboys/girls that make decisions completely on there loyatly to a specific brand. If a company has a product that fits my needs I get it.

Hence why I have a Windows Desktop, and a 12" Apple iBook.

Grow up!

Ah, i'm sorry if i've been a bit too agressive in posts.
But I always set bad points about Creative, etc too, and, Apple do have a few good things, but they have some down sides too. So I do think I'm rather balanced in my opinions. I don't just rave that ones better than the other for no reason. I do have reasons for it...

If people are happy though with what they have, then fine.
Whats the point worrying what other people think? Some people just forget that, like me :p Its alright to ask opinions of products based on features, etc, and thats fine, and I tihnk I have been doing that, rather than saying ones better than the other.

Anyway, this Bios for sure? Have you got a link? Does it work on all Creative Players? What else does it allow you to to? Drop music on it to play on the player for instance from within the explorer?...

Kage said:
Ah, i'm sorry if i've been a bit too agressive in posts.
But I always set bad points about Creative, etc too, and, Apple do have a few good things, but they have some down sides too. So I do think I'm rather balanced in my opinions. I don't just rave that ones better than the other for no reason. I do have reasons for it...

If people are happy though with what they have, then fine.
Whats the point worrying what other people think? Some people just forget that, like me :p Its alright to ask opinions of products based on features, etc, and thats fine, and I tihnk I have been doing that, rather than saying ones better than the other.

Anyway, this Bios for sure? Have you got a link? Does it work on all Creative Players? What else does it allow you to to? Drop music on it to play on the player for instance from within the explorer?...

Yeah, it does all that. but I need your model type. All Creative devices are going "Playing for Sure" I think. Think it's some sort of marketing thing, so post the type of Zen details you have and I'll get you the link.

Creative Zen Vision M (As of tommorow. they've only just come out though)

I am english :p

Thanks so much :)
I didn't think they'd be any official firmware as of yet for that player *shocked*

Wooooo!!!! Yes!!!! :D:D As you can tell, I'm quite happy about the drag and drop music to the device feature using Windows Explorer :D

Back
Top Bottom