I am a networking dummy

kf4qhk

Baseband Member
I have 2 computers, connected wirelessly to a linksys router(that of course, is wireless.)

How do I go in and get them to both be able to share documents across the network? I figure that would be the easiest way to transfer documents from one computer to anohter, as they are in seperate rooms.

Jeremy

well, if you are running xp, all you have to do is run the network setup wizard and you will be all set....easy as pie.

Ok,

I did that, and I went inot each computer, and right clicked on the folders that I wanted to share, and gave each of them a network name.

Now, under "My network places," I see the current computer that I am on, but I don't see the other computer.

On my newest computer, I see 2 things.
1. Wireless, which is the name for my router
2. I see the name I have for my primary computer

However, under 1 there is nothing to click on
when I click on 2, it searches, but then gives me an error message stating that I can not access files on this computer

Tommy Boy said:
well, if you are running xp, all you have to do is run the network setup wizard and you will be all set....easy as pie.

When you share the folders, as you did, and gave them a network name, click on allow users to change my files over the network- this gives the other computer Admin rights to the folder, therefore allowing you to access the folder. If you cannot see the other system in My Network Places, it sounds like they're not in the same Workgroup.

pctechmike said:
When you share the folders, as you did, and gave them a network name, click on allow users to change my files over the network- this gives the other computer Admin rights to the folder, therefore allowing you to access the folder. If you cannot see the other system in My Network Places, it sounds like they're not in the same Workgroup.

I did that, still can 't connect.
How do I put them in the same workgroup?

Jeremy

Right click on my computer, click on computer name tab, and see what it says next to Workgroup. If on each PC, these are different, change one to match the other. You do this by clicking change, and in the Workgroup box, type in what the other one says. Once you do this, it will not take affect until you reboot. Once they are in the same workgroup, and you have the permissions for the folder set, you should be able to access each from the other PC.

Back
Top Bottom