HD Help

dmb51599

In Runtime
I recieved a new HD (SATA) today and I was wondering if there was anyway to tell if it works without having a CPU or Vid card in the CPU. Should I be able to hear it start up??? Thanks!

You need a CPU for the system to even start. You need a video card to see anything in the BIOS. To see if it works, if you have a friend with a computer, or you have a computer, connect inside another system, and see if you can access it. You may need some special instructions to do this, reason being if you place the hard drive inside a computer with a different file system, it may not see it.

i think even without a cpu or vid card u can still power on the HD, but the HD won't be working, it will only be powered on. theres a difference between power on and functioning.

I Dont Think It Will Work Because The Processor Sends A Signal Back To The Power Supply To Say That Everything Is Ok. So With No Processor I Think The Power Supply Will Stop Sending Power As Soon As It Gets No Reply.

Lewis said:
I Dont Think It Will Work Because The Processor Sends A Signal Back To The Power Supply To Say That Everything Is Ok. So With No Processor I Think The Power Supply Will Stop Sending Power As Soon As It Gets No Reply.

cpu send signal to PSU?? >.>

the cpu has no link to the psu wut so ever, so it cant send anything

yeah it's right,there is no connection of CPU-PSU thing or vice versa. you could start the PSU without having the CPU. as for the HD,you could see it working but you couldn't see it functioning since you don't have any output components.

Actually The Processor Sends A Signal To Pin8 On The Power Connector On The MotherBoard Which Is The Power Ok Signal. If the That Signal Is Not Sent/Recieved The Power Is Cut. Google It Before Telling Me Im Wrong Because I Know Im Right.

really?I can run my PSU without the presence of processor. Actually you can switch on the PSU without the power button from the case.just have a few clicks from the motherboard and then voila!,psu is running good.

Back
Top Bottom