Hard Drives

bman_333

Solid State Member
well this is my situation as stands. HD 'A' has windows xp on it. lets call that 'xp 1' .and i have some games installed on it there. i want to put in HD 'B' and partition it in 2, one partition to have another windows xp on it. lets call this 'xp 2'. now if i boot 'xp 2' can i access HD 'A' and play the games installed on it?

this would not only go for playing games but software as well..

Yeah, you should be able to. I mean, technically that's the same as just having one operating system and storing games on another one, so I don't see why this would be different. Unless there's a problem with installing games while using an OS from one hard drive and using them using an OS from another hard drive, you should be fine. And I can't think of a reason why there would be a problem.

I have to ask, though... Why do you want two copies of Windows XP?!

yeah i hope i can do so. the only reason i thought i wouldn't be able to is because when installing a game the information goes to the system registry on that hard drive. but as for why i want to do this. well right now my computer is beginning to become slow, and laggy. so instead of reformatting and having to reinstall everything again im just wanna put this other hard drive i have in and install windows on it and boot with it, and then it will be like starting fresh almost. plus im really really right for space, and this hd im putting in is 200gb so it will be the cure.

also want i want to do is when i partition it im gonna partition a size of maybe 5gb just enough to fit windows on it then im gonna install deep freeze on that partition and then basically i won't have to worry about windows system files getting messed up, because ill just restart and its back to normal.

Ah... Personally, I hate it when my computer is cluttered, so I couldn't deal with that. I don't know what it is, I just can't stand to have my computer full of stuff (well, stuff that I don't know about, that is :D). I thought about the registry, but I don't think that'll have anything to do with it.

ok well i went ahead and partitioned the 200gb hard drive. however it said that the partitionable space is only 131xxx mb :( yet when i go into the bios it says the hd is 200gb. what gives? the hard drive was used b4 i had it and had deep freeze on it. i since deleted the partition, and put the drive to scratch. but why does it only allow me to partition 131xxxmb?

Yeah. Windows XP has this weird thing and it won't recognize HDD's bigger than 137 (approximately) GB hard drives, so, you have to make multiple partitions. so, for what you're thinking about doing, you need to make the 137 partition, the 5 partition, and the other one if you want it. I do believe there's a fix for it but I've heard that this is by far the easiest way to do it.

Jamxx said:
Yeah. Windows XP has this weird thing and it won't recognize HDD's bigger than 137 (approximately) GB hard drives, so, you have to make multiple partitions. so, for what you're thinking about doing, you need to make the 137 partition, the 5 partition, and the other one if you want it. I do believe there's a fix for it but I've heard that this is by far the easiest way to do it.

I am currently using a harddrive which has approximately 197gb and this works fine. So that shouldn't be the problem.

Matt

Jamxx said:

i have that problem with my comp, its says its 130gb when its actually 160gb and i read that its due to wrong jumper settings but its an sata drive and there are no jumpers on those so its still a mystery

Back
Top Bottom