Fan Noise Question

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I recently noticed something pretty strange on my computer. I was trying to get it to quiet down a little bit (because it is really pretty dang loud) and I figured out what was making so much noise. It was my 120mm front intake fan. So, I took that out and put in an 80mm I had laying around. It is an Antec and is dang quiet when it runs. I start everything up and it is INSANELY loud. I know something is up, so I take it out and turn my computer on again (with it still connected, just sitting outside the case). No noise whatsoever. It is dead silent! I then connect my 120mm in the same manner and it is also dead silent. Now, to further see what the problem is, I move it in front of my HDD's to see if the noise changes, and boy did it! It makes a pitched whirring noise whenever there is a fan in there (that is pitched according to the RPM it is spinning out). Now, I also had the front panel of the case off while doing this. So, I've concluded that the little "grate" thing in front of the fan must be making that noise. Is there something I can do (besides cutting all of it off) to get rid of the noise? Or should I somehow cut the metal off so that it doesn't make such a loud noise?

I disconnected the fan completely and my system temperatures rose substantially, especially my HDD's (duh), so I definitely need it in there. It is just really loud! And, without that fan, it is pretty dang quiet.

Thanks!

You dont need to cool your hard drives. If your case temp is giving you a nice tan on your leg then you start to worry.

Just take it out

What do you mean I don't need to cool my hard drives? They have maximum temperatures and my Maxtor heats up close to that when there isn't a fan on it... About 5 Celsius away. And I think my case temperature would go up quite a ways. I'd rather have it in there than not...

Im not sure if this is safe depending on the temperature but why don't you try putting a piece of foam over the grate on the inside and cutting out the holes it just may be echo off the grate and if it is the foam should stop the echo.

Well, that's what I was thinking was the problem, the vibration from the metal case. But, I actually think it's a whirring/whistling noise coming from the air being pulled in through the grate because if it is just sitting in front of the grate (not touching it or attached) it still makes the noise...

how big are the holes in the grate is there a way you may be able to round off the edges to allow a smoother airflow, use a file and take the rough edges away. It may take a long time but it may help.

Haha, I just don't think it may be worth it for that much effort. Thanks for the help but I'm going to try putting a fan under the HDD's instead of blowing onto them, and that should definitely help.

I didn't figure it would be a good idea but it was an idea. I hope it all works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom