Modular Power Supplies

EricM

Daemon Poster
What do you guys think of these things? Do they lead to any power loss? I personally like the idea of only connecting what cables you need which helps out the airflow since you use what you need. Ultra makes a really nice one.....http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273350&Sku=ULT31851
but I am not too sure about this brand. They also make something very similar to this, which is the x-finity,but isnt modular. So tell me what you think.

Well, from my very limited knowledge on general electronics, wouldn't that increase resistance? Because I'm sure the connectors have an increased resistance to that of just a straight wire running. It may not be that much, but I know when it comes to R/C cars you want the least amount of resistance possible or you're going to be smokin' down the straightaways, literally! :D

i kinda see what u mean, I just like the flexibility of using which cables u like...

That's true. However, on my PSU, I have like 2 cables that I'm not using and they're both 4 pin molexes... Not a big deal to me.

Its not SLI capable is it? Im looking for one that is and I am kind liking the Ultra ones i listed. They have had good reviews. Anyone else have any input?

The aren't SLI 'certified' but a few of my friends have 2x7800gt and they work fine...they are definately able to handle SLI even though its not listed as sli certified on tigerdirect. If you check reviews on the net, they all have tested it with SLI and is perfectly fine.

Ultra is a very good brand, they make good power supplies. I was looking at a modular one when my psu went out, but I have so much stuff that I'd have to use all the molex connectors anyway so I decided not to get one and to get a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480.

Back
Top Bottom