Overclocking and Warranties

Conspirate

In Runtime
I know that you can easily overclock RAM, video cards, and processors to much higher speeds with little effort. And I am also aware that overclocking voids your warranty. Which brings me to my question: is it detectable if you have overclocked your processor of RAM? Also, does it drastically cut the life of your processor/RAM/video card if you overclock? Thanks.

i dont see how it would be but im sure they have somethin on them that they could look at to see what happened just before it failed or somethin and no it doesnt "drastically" cut the life of the component u r overclocking, even with it overclocked like crazy u would still replace it long before it failed

Well, I haven't had any expierence with that kind of thing, but I remeber someone telling me there is some sort of seal on the cores of new graphics cards to tell if they've been overclocked.... I dunno, but if you are going to overclock, you shouldn't if you want to return it.

they have no way of telling if you overclocked it or not because the settings are saved in the BIOS. It would be unethical to return an overclocked cpu, but it would work.

Well if it was saved in your BIOS you could revert to normal settings before selling it, or you could clear the CMOS. If you want to overclock it and sell it like that, ownage is right, it would be stupid to sell it.

i never said it was stupid :p If you have a crap overclocking chip, then sell it. But if you got a cherry, and not a lemon, you should keep it. I know this one person who bought 4 (yes, 4) opteron 146s and overclocked them all and kept the best one and sold the other three.

Yes, it is possible to see if you have overclocked in some cases, not many.
As the manufactuer examines the cpu they might notice that the core may look a little burnt.

yes, but they wont look at every cpu now would they? :D it would take forever to look at every RMA'd cpu.

Like, if you overclock modestly, does the CPU or RAM stop working frequently enough where it would stop you from doing it?

not unless you are talking about BH-UTT CH-UTT or Micron -5D b. Those are known to kill mobos (BH and CH-UTT) and just die (Micron -5B d). Other than those, other RAM should run 24/7 perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom