Amd X2 3800 Vs 4200 Vs 4400

Conspirate

In Runtime
On a budget, as I am now, I am leaning towards getting a 3800 just since there isnt a big difference between that and the 4400, which is over 50% more money. As you know, 4200 is less than 100 more, but I heard there isnt a noticeable difference. What do you guys think. Much appreciated.

Go with the 3800+. You can overclock it to a higher level if you want to in the future to get a little performance boost out of it. :)

Yea the only reason you should really overclock is if you're going to need the overclock. I doubt anything under a 300 to 400 MHz overclock isn't going to make a really noticeable difference. If you game then do it, but alwasy remeber that when you overclock you'll need proper cooling and voltage for it. If it's anything more than a 400Mhz overclock and you're seeing 45 degrees celcius then I suggest you stuff 2 more fans in there. If you REALLY want to overclock, then get a liquid cooling system and a 600 wat power supply. :D

I don't think you'll need to overclock the X2, but should you want to, you might be able to get a 200 MHz increase on just stock cooling.

Or, you can go balls-out and get an Opteron 170 Dual-Core CPU and overclock the libing heck out of it on standard everything! Ask Jamxx, he overclocked his Opteron 148 from 2.2GHz all the way to 2.8 Ghz on stadard everything. The Opterons are amazing CPUs, you may want to consider getting that as oppossed to the Athelon 64 X2 3800+. :D

Don't get the 4200+. It's basically a 3800+ that's clocked higher and with 512k of extra L2 Cache. For gaming, that won't help much and you can just overclock your 3800+ to 4200+ speeds easily.

Back
Top Bottom