Gateway FX400XL WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

windows media center
pentium 830
nvidia 7800

i have made 3 attempts at setting this up.

could there be something related to the components and the fact that by changing the fonts to xtra large and the dpi to custom 150 that the computer tail spins? and why?

after the initial xp media screens, i come to administrator.i have set this up twice and by passed this once,all 3 times with the same result as follows:

when i set up the administrator password account,then other users. upon reboot before changes to dpi or fonts, i came up listed as the administrator along with the other users listed

administrator
wife
kid
kid

when i by passed setting up the administrator account and went right in to setting up user accounts ,mine included here is what i had after reboot

me
wife
kid
kid

after i changed the dpi to 150 and the font size to xtra large then here is what i had

wife
kid
kid

i was no where listed and my e-mail was in my wife's account

i want the large writing because it will be used in the living room.

ever heard of this problem?

Ok, so they wont send you new software? They sent you a new tower so you know it isn't the hardware..... If they won't send you knew software just go buy windows xp home for like 100 dollars or something. You need to type with some propper grammar, I can barely understand what you're saying (no offense, but I seriously don't understand what's going on, I don't understand your text).

Ok, I tried a second attempt at reading that, and I understand this much: You noticed something was wrong so they sent you a new drive (hard drive or cd rom drive, you didn't say). Then when that one was buggy, you called back and they said they wouldn't aloow for you to recieve another, so that was stupid, then by luck you got another guy who sent you another computer, and now some dude is setting it up and you don't know what to do??? I don't even understand the problem. You got another computer, and now you think you're going to go through legal crap because they sent you another computer?? You said some guy is setting it up... but it's just a computer. All you dso is plug it in and turn it on and since it's from Dell it should work.....

djr777 said:
windows media center
pentium 830
nvidia 7800

i have made 3 attempts at setting this up.

could there be something related to the components and the fact that by changing the fonts to xtra large and the dpi to custom 150 that the computer tail spins? and why?

after the initial xp media screens, i come to administrator.i have set this up twice and by passed this once,all 3 times with the same result as follows:

when i set up the administrator password account,then other users. upon reboot before changes to dpi or fonts, i came up listed as the administrator along with the other users listed

administrator
wife
kid
kid

when i by passed setting up the administrator account and went right in to setting up user accounts ,mine included here is what i had after reboot

me
wife
kid
kid

after i changed the dpi to 150 and the font size to xtra large then here is what i had

wife
kid
kid

i was no where listed and my e-mail was in my wife's account

i want the large writing because it will be used in the living room.

ever heard of this problem?

Not to TRIPLE post, but I think your problem is that YOU are logged in as the administrator, maybe that's it? Maybe it won't show because you're already logged in as administrator.

Ignore HRHunteRHR, I can read your text perfectly fine, infact at times it's better then his. So nevermind that!

It seems as though your problem is not with XP, or Hardware, but rather drivers. Once you enable the large fonts and DPI to 150, then reboot, everything goes crazy. So, try establishing everything again, only DO NOT set the font to large and DO NOT set the DPI to 150. If you did that, and your drivers couldn't handle that, well, bad things happen. But never have I heard of a driver messing up an Administrator's account.

So, here's what you do! Go through the entire process again, only, do not change anything, just make the user accounts, then reboot. You should be OK if you haven't changed anything. After the reboot, let us know if it decides to go crazy again. If it did, then it's definetly not a driver problem. If it screws up with only making and changing user accounts, then your problem is in XP itself. In which case you need a new Windows XP Media Center Edition disc. You should be able to purchase that, either that or call Gateway and ask for a new one.

Either way, try each individual action, making an account, rebooting, making an account, chage the font, making an account changing the font and DPI. Just use the "Process of elimination." You should eventually stumble upon your problem. In which that case does happen. Get back to us as soon as you possibly can. Because we need to solve this very quickly before your trial period runs out!

ya like 1337DuD3 said all the problems seem to happen after changing the dpi so dont change it for now and just get it set up then try it at a smaller setting like 120dpi which is one of the settings built in on xp then if that works try 130dpi and so on

thanks 1337DuD3 i will try your idea

HRHunterHR please don`t repond to this post,lay off the coffee and realize it`s a GATEWAY,not a DELL, if it was a DELL i probably wouldn`t have this problem.

It's hard to realize what type of computer it is when you can barely understand what someone is trying to say. And sorry for offending you, I was trying to help you but you probobly don't care. I hope you fix your computer.

HRHunteRHR said:
Not to TRIPLE post, but I think your problem is that YOU are logged in as the administrator, maybe that's it? Maybe it won't show because you're already logged in as administrator.

That's not the problem either. Even if he went into User Accounts it would still display all the active users, which is every user. So either way he'd be able to see all the users, including himself. Also, the problem is when he reboots, then his account is no longer recognized by the Operating System. Meaning one of a few things: Either the Operating System is corrupt, A driver is faulty, or the Account was set up incorrectly.

And seeing as how the operating system actually works, and lets him create accounts as well as change settings, then thta means the Operating System is infact OK.

Also, we can rule out that the wasn't set up incorrectly because he himself knows how to set up the accounts, plus multiple members have told him how to establish the account. Along with that he also had multiple technition help him try to make accounts and configure his system. So it's not him and making the accounts.

The last problem is more then likly the drivers. Somethign in your computer isn't being recognized correctly, either that or it is, but when you change its default setting, or a setting to large for it, it will mess up data. Remember, that even the slightest 1 or 0 that is off can mess up multiple things. And from what we can tell, it's messing up your Administrator account, as well as your email account within Outlook Express.

So I'm clearly thinking that your problem is somethign associated with software and not hardware. If it was hardware it wouldn't afftect user accounts, but rather the overall performance of your computer. And if somethign wasn't right, you would definetly know it. If it was a video card, you'd get artifacts, if it was RAM, XP would would suggest more virtual RAM, or, not even boot up at all. If it was a hard drive, well, you wouldn't be replying to our messages! If it was hardware in general, it wouldn't be anythign associated with user accounts or emails.

So, we can clearly focus all of our troubleshooting soully on software. And seeing as how you haven't really done anythign on the internet on your new computer, I doubt it's a virus, or spyware, or something relavent to that. So, it's clearly a form of software that directly afftects user accounts, and emails. Which, we can clearly label as a driver. Somethign telling the Operating System what to do. IN this case, somethign is being thrown off when you change a setting.

So now, my advice is to get updated drivers. Do a full Microsoft Windows XP update, get new drivers for everything, check all programs, such as IE, or Mozilla Firefox, which ever you are using, check to make sure Outlook Express is working, check everything. Make sure all programs run as they should. If you get an error when running a program, then BINGO! we got our problem! Call tech support, or come to us, and they'll give you the appropriate answer on how to solve it. :D

Back
Top Bottom