Help coppying over one HD to another

CharmPeddler

Beta member
Im trying to coppy a 10gig hd (5gigs used) to a 80gig, the 5gig is the only one HD and has windows on it. im trying to copy everything over inc. window. I used maxblast, and every thing seemed to copy fine, but when i take the 5 gig out and install the 80, window will freez while booting up. i belive it gets to the screen that u pic wich user u want to enter windows on. but the user choice never shows up.

im not sure if i did something rong(probable), i hope i fronted ebough info for someone to help.

thanks in advance to any and all help

CharmPeddler

I don't think you can copy an operating system to a different HDD. I tried it before and it didn't work. Just install a fresh copy of your Windows OS if you have a disc (it gets rid of any errors, or possibly viruses that were on your other one). You can move all your files to the new drive, you might want to get the drivers in case Windows can't find them.

im pretty sure ive heard of it being done, but dont remember when or ware.
and i decided that yes it would be better to just reinstall windows,
thanks for input

charmpeddler

I've never heard f it being done, but if it can some how you can do it. I just prefer to reinstall windows if putting in a new HDD.

user12 said:
Norton Ghost is your friend.

I second that motion :) Noton Ghost is the only program I absolutely LOVE from Symantec. I use it to make back-up images of my hard drive every month. It would work perfect for your situation also. :D

i have a question about norton ghost... if it could back up the OS, when you restore it,you got the same exact OS you had before? so what's the purpose of formatting if you are going to restore the same OS before?

there is no purpose.

if your just switching out HD's in the same computer, just use norton to make an image of the partition or disk and ghost it over to the new one. Depending on the amount of data you can be back up and running in as little as 10 mins.

Don't you have to sis prep it if your going to switch a HD over to a new computer and make sure you put in the command for the drives also. correct me but we have done this to update a 98 machine to xp. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom