Quad Core's first arrivals!

Re: Quad Core Arrival Estimation

I believthat In 2010, we will whave AMD Athlon 128 or somthing.

By far, 64-bit won't be the way to go in 4 years...

Having the 128-bit CPU

1337DuD3 said:
GDDR3 is already out. GDDR4 I believe is out as well, only on one card though; the ATi Radeon X1800XT. Because in ATi's website they make mention of GDDR4 compatible, yet I haven't seen it for sale.

What I think you're referring to is DDR3, which hasn't come out yet. DDR RAM is your system memory, GDDR RAM is Graphics Double Data Rate RAM, you can't use GDDR style in your computer, you have to use DDR or DDR2 for right now.

Actually i am talking about GDDR3 because ive seen the Geforce 7800 and its pretty much a god card atm but im saying how long til my GDDR2 is obsolete.
And im still just going with DDR ram in my comnp as well. Oh and i cant afford a GDDR3 graphics card the best i can do is a PCI express 16 GDDR2
i would have to add another 2-300 bucks to that to get a GDDR3

What are you talking about? You can get a 6600GT with GDDR3 RAM for like $120 dollars! You don't need to spend upwards of $300 dollars on a video card just to get GDDR3 RAM with it. :)

The never ending innovations in computer technology. Doesn't look like I'll have the money to build the dual core system I wanted so maybe I'll wait another year for quad-core, lol. Should be more streamlined. The miniatureization process is so neat. I wonder how they manage to shrink everything down so small to squeeze 4 cores on a single die? Nanotechnology? Yeah, I'm not surprised if PCI-e II will be coming out in the future. The version we're running now is only in it's first generation of production. Much improvements can be made for PCI-Express technology and has a LOT of potential. Can't wait to see it.

TRDCorolla said:
The never ending innovations in computer technology. Doesn't look like I'll have the money to build the dual core system I wanted so maybe I'll wait another year for quad-core, lol. Should be more streamlined. The miniatureization process is so neat. I wonder how they manage to shrink everything down so small to squeeze 4 cores on a single die? Nanotechnology? Yeah, I'm not surprised if PCI-e II will be coming out in the future. The version we're running now is only in it's first generation of production. Much improvements can be made for PCI-Express technology and has a LOT of potential. Can't wait to see it.

Yes, this year is going bring so many new technologies to the table. We're discovering how to fit multiple cores on a single die, we know how to process things much faster then years before, this year, 2006, is probably goign to be the best year for computers then any previous year!

So many new things are expected this year. Such as the first Quad-Core CPU. Intel said it should have one in I believe Q4 of this year. Let me dig up the article to show you guys. :D

Tom's Hardware said:
Yorkfield And Harpertown With 8 Cores

The climax of Intel's move to 45 nm will obviously be processors with as many as eight cores on a die. Technically, the Yorkfield and Harpertown cores are pretty similar, while Yorkfield steps into the desktop space and Harpertown harpoons the enterprise customer. Both will be 45 nm parts, with four cores and as much as 12 MB L2 cache. We can't say how the geometry of this chip is going to be and we suppose Intel is not entirely sure yet either.

As it looks right now, four Wolfdale type chips with 3 MB L2 cache each could be lined up together in order to realize the huge quad core super chip. Alternatively we could imagine Intel pulling two quad cores with 6 MB L2 cache each. Although these are not yet outlined, we believe this could be added rather quickly.
45 Nm Processor Overview
Categorie Codename Cores Cache Market
Desktop Wolfdale Dual core, single die 3 MB shared 2008
Desktop Ridgefield Dual core
single die 6 MB shared 2008
Desktop Yorkfield 8 cores
multi-die 12 MB shared 2008+
Desktop Bloomfield Quad core, single die - 2008+
Desktop/Mobile Perryville Single core 2 MB 2008
Mobile Penryn Dual core
single die 3 MB, 6 MB shared 2008
Mobile Silverthorne - - 2008+
Enterprise Hapertown 8 cores
multi-die 12 MB shared 2008

Here's the article if you want to read up on the predicted 45nm technology as well as Quad-Core and yes, 8 core CPUs. :D

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/index.html

I guess that's going to be the trend now. Multiple cores. I can see how it can be a real benefit without actually increasing clock frequency and 45nm is just nuts!!! It'll be real fun to see it in action. I'm such a nerd.

haha we're all nerds man!!! That's the fun in it!

The thing about us computer people, is that computers are becoming so demanding in today's world economics. Soon enough, the world will start to rely more and more on computers, so us nerds have a foot in the door already. We got it made, and we got it made BIG.

The truth behind the matter is that I don't think Moore's Law will be able to go on very much longer. Because things keep getting smaller, why I don't know, you can increase the silicon waffer, and theoritically increase the cores on the tie, but they keep goign smaller! So if they keep going smaller, you won't be able to fit as many transistors on the die.

Oh well, as long as I get me a good paying job I'm goign to grab every little new goodie that comes out. :D

before i got the 4800 amd x2 i used to think this quad core is an overkill, but after using the x2 and realising its limitations i see that this quad core just might be in the right direction, but from amd i really want to see them focus more on the actuall frequency rather than amount of cores, i hope by 2007 there wont be too many under 3.0 ghz cores for their performance categories. or i should say that they should at least have a standard 3.0 ghz dual/multi core by 2007. this cpu will probably cost 2000 and i just cant afford that. :( d

Well the thing with AMD processors is that they do more per clock. That and this is why you see intel processors with higher clocks, because due to their NetBurst architecture, they need higher clock speeds to perform better, as oppossed to AMD processors which can do more per clock then an intel can, because of the NetBurst architecture.

Although Quad-Core CPUs will be amazing, I still think that when it comes to gaming you'll want a single core, that way all the data is being fed directly to one core. I could be wrong and maybe you'll want more cores for games, but it seems that the single core CPUs outperform the Dual-Core CPUs when it comes to games, that is, until the Athelon 64 FX-60 came out. :D

1337DuD3 said:
Although Quad-Core CPUs will be amazing, I still think that when it comes to gaming you'll want a single core, that way all the data is being fed directly to one core. I could be wrong and maybe you'll want more cores for games, but it seems that the single core CPUs outperform the Dual-Core CPUs when it comes to games, that is, until the Athelon 64 FX-60 came out. :D

Well this is because games do not take advantage of the other core as of yet... the same with computer software. Hardware is always ahead of the software... so just wait until programs will take advantage of the dual core CPUS. Games will soon head in the same direction. It may take a while but they eventually head in that direction. Same with the dual core GPUS.

Back
Top Bottom