Overclocking My Graphics card

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
Well, I have an MSI 6600LE and I'm thinking of overclocking it but don't really know where to begin.

When I right click on the desktop and click properties there's a tab which says 'MSI clock'. When I click on the tab it shows three scrollers, one called the "2D clock", one called the "3D clock" (both under the heading 'core clock') and one called the "memory clock". Here is the info:

2D clock: 300Mhz

3D clock: 300Mhz

Memory clock: 400Mhz

It allows me to increase the speeds of all three of these, but I'm a little nervous. How will I know when to stop? I have no idea what the gpu temp is (system temp is usually around 24-30 degrees and cpu temp 27-30 degrees).

If I overclock too much what will happen? Will it catch fire? Will the computer just shut off?

Could you give me some advice and maybe tell me if you think this is a good idea?

Thanks

Overclocking too much will increase the heat output more. So have adequate cooling. Effects of OCing too high will result in video card being pretty much dead in the waters.

Try using Coolbits instead of that MSI one. Here's how to enable it:

"Your graphics speed boost comes from within, without your having to pop the case. To start, simply download the appropriate graphics board hacking tool for the brand of card you have. NVidia has even built overclocking settings into its latest drivers. To enable them, open the Windows Registry editor by going to Start, Run, typing regedit, and pressing Enter. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA Corporation/Global/NVTweak/," right-click the right pane of the editor and choose to add a new DWord called coolbits. Edit that entry and give it a hex value of 3, then close your Registry editor. The NVidia tab under your PC's advanced display properties settings will now feature a "Clock Frequency Settings" page that allows you to adjust memory and graphics chip clock speeds for your board. Click the "Detect Optimal Frequencies" button if you want the utility to try to find safe overclocked settings for your graphics board."

Back
Top Bottom