My baby

Ok, i set my cd-rom drive to primary, my HDD to second then i disabled the third one since i don't have a floppy drive. But every time is says S.M.A.R.T. is disable and then it reads "Disk Failure. put in start up disc and press enter." what am i doing wrong?

I did a home case mod. Quite hard to do if your crap with D.I.Y, and you havent got the right tools, but easy if you do. P.M me if you want to know in detail how to do it.

Pidge14 said:
I currently got into computers. And since i'm into computers its my new life. I got enough money to build my own. I got all the parts and found out that the memory i bought wasn't compatible, oh well. I'm going to buy a new one. My computer is my baby, my life. So i want the best for it. So i have some questions.

1) How hard is to cut and install your own side window? Also, is it expensive?
2) What are some good anti-virus and anti-spyware programs?

I will most likely think of more questions. But as of now I can't think of any.
I appreciate all help.

1. Not sure, but it could turn into an adventure :) I've never done this, so I can't give advice on it.
2. I seen some posts here about what programs you should use. I can't say that I agree with most, so I'll tell you what I use. For spyware- I use AdAware SE, from lavasoft (www.lavasoft.com) which is totally free and works great- you do have to run it, and update it manually. I also use Microsoft Antispyware Beta, which is one of the best programs out, and it's totally free. For antivirus I use Avast! (www.avast.com) which is totally free, updates automatically, and includes several different sheilds from commonly used programs. I have used it for over a year, and haven't become infected yet. Norton, I wouldn't give you, because I have seen way too many issues with it. McAfee either, although I have heard the newest version is pretty good. AVG, I've heard that it is very good, but can be a little confusing to operate for newbies. The conclusion that you're probably coming to is that you may want to research these programs, and see for yourself. Every program that I use is totally free, and has kept my computer clean for a long time.

Pidge14 said:
Ok, i set my cd-rom drive to primary, my HDD to second then i disabled the third one since i don't have a floppy drive. But every time is says S.M.A.R.T. is disable and then it reads "Disk Failure. put in start up disc and press enter." what am i doing wrong?

Your hard drive needs to be primary. CD-ROM, secondary. The SMART feature is going to be set in the BIOS- you will have to go into it to enable it. The disk failure is simply saying it can't find the boot partition on your hard drive.

Ok, i'm still having some problems. But i have been working with the tech guy at our school. I'm bringing my computer into school tomorrow so he can look at it. I have other problems than just the load disc failure. But, wow, i love my computer. It doesn't make much noise. But that low hum of fans and than other parts working really makes me proud that i actually built my own computer. I'll get some pictures of Her on here soon. Yes, i may love my computer too much. But i love computer stuff in general. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok, i turned on my computer and on the case i have a temperature LED display, well it kept making this beeping noise and the temp levels for the HDD and CPU were flashing. The temps for the HDD was 18 C and the CPU was 23 C, is this bad?

umm...cut out and install ur own side window? that sounds bizarre. why not jus buy a case with a side window? they are not that expensive. the cheapest case with side window is like 20bucks.

as for anti-virus programs, i wouldnt trust any of that America Online total security c***. i would use McAfee (actually anythign that doesnt come with something else).

Ok thanks, but my current problem is this...for the third time it went to this blue screen saying something is dangerous and the computer needs to be shut down and yesterday when i turned my computer on the temps for the HDD and CPU were beeping and flashing...the temps were 23 C for the CPU and 18 for the HDD. Is my computer over heating?

Back
Top Bottom