The AWESOME power of Nuclear Explosions

Yeah, these bombs are insane.

But did you know that there is another substance much more destructive?

It's called antimatter.

I found out from a book called 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown (it's the prequel to the DaVinci code. Here's the first few paragraphs:

"FACT

The world's largest scientific research facility - Switzerland's Conseil Europeen pour la Recherche Nucleaire (CERN) - recently suceeded in producing the first particles of antimatter. Antimatter is identical to physical matter except that it is composed of particles whose electric charges are opposite to those found in normal matter.

Antimatter is the most powerful energy source known to man. It releases energy with 100 per cent efficiency (nuclear fission is 1.5 per cent efficient). Antimatter creates no pollution or radiation, and a droplet could power New York City for a full day.

There is, however, one catch...

Antimatter is highly unstable. It ignites when it comes into contact with absolutely anything...even air. A single gram of antimatter contains the energy of a 20-kiloton nuclear bomb - the size of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

One question looms: Will this highly volitile substance save the world, or will it be used to create the most deadly weapon ever made?"

It does make you think, and to be honest it's quite scary just how powerful this stuff is.

http://www.parascope.com/en/antimatr.htm

cool huh...

Arom Bombs are (I suppose) pretty to look at, but at the same time they are a tragic waste of live when they go off, or even when people threaten to set them off...

as far as what will come first, antimatter weapons or antimatter fuel...
which came first,
nuclear bombs or nuclear fuels?

However I suppose that was different in as far as it was made in a time of war so normal scientific procedures are always geared towards warfare, if nothing else it gets them the funding that they want.

OK, I'm going to say right now HRHunteRHR if you want to talk about Bombs and their ultimate purpose, TAKE IT TO THE PRIVATE MESSAGES!!!! I clealry said I didn't want this to turn into a flame war about the nuclear bomb. SO STOP TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT!!!

mammikoura said:
If Saddam would have had 30 nuclear warheads aiming at some big US cities ready to be fired at any given time USA wouldn't have gone in Iraq.
The fact is that if for some reason say Russia wanted to attach USA, they wouldn't do it because the whole Russia would be a nuclear wasteland.

They are ment for war, but they are also there to keep the peace.
How did the war in WW2 between Japan and USA end? Japan surrendered because of the a-bombs that USA had. Without those a-bombs the war would have lasted for a longer time. But I still think that using the a-bombs wasn't the right thing to do, sure they saved the lives of many american soldiers, but killed tens of thousands of innocent civilians.

He still had "WOD". Some of which were said to have included chemicals like mustard gasses, and biological warfare weapons. Many of our troops could have been sent to their deaths. We STILL invaded. I never thought there were WOD, but I still never thought it was a good idea to invade Iraq with troops. I still don't belive making the a-bomb was a good idea. Without us making the a-bomb I'm sure no one else would have made it, and if we caught wind of anyone else making it, we would have invaded.

P.S Why do you keep saying "attach"? You have said that in your last posts to, I thought it was a grammar error, but is it?

Thats one big ass explosion!

leftright.gif

lol yea that was mad cool. and no it cant be as hot as the sun or else it would burn our atmosphere.........IMAGINE THAT KIND OF EXPlOSIONS IN A ENGINE MAD POWER!

the thing about antimatter:
i would be willing to bet any sum of money the government is already looking into how they can weaponize it. i think in angels and demons, the guy wanted to blow up the vatican with antimatter.
also, how could antimatter have a whole different charge than regular matter, if the only charges are positive and negative and neutral, and theres plenty of matter with positive and plenty of matter with negative and prolly alot with neutral. ions i believe theyre called.

mr.monger said:
the thing about antimatter:
i would be willing to bet any sum of money the government is already looking into how they can weaponize it. i think in angels and demons, the guy wanted to blow up the vatican with antimatter.
also, how could antimatter have a whole different charge than regular matter, if the only charges are positive and negative and neutral, and theres plenty of matter with positive and plenty of matter with negative and prolly alot with neutral. ions i believe theyre called.

Everything in the universe that is comprised of normal matter (put it another way, everything except antimatter) is comprised of atoms. And atoms, no matter what substance they make up, are constructed the same:

The middle is comprised of Protons (positive charge) and neutrons (negative charge)

The things that fly around the outside are electons (negative charge)

Different elements (if I remember high school science correctly) have different numbers of electrons, protons and neutrons (I think)

Now with antimatter I think everything reverses (I'm not sure of this, and can't be bothered to research it) so protons would become negativly charged (become electrons) and electrons would become positivly charged (become protons), and neutrons I suppose would stay the same.

This is just speculation on my part, so feel free to disagree.

Ions involve atoms losing electrons to bond with other atoms (or become compounds) such as oxygen and hydrogen bonding to form water. But nothing reverses, the charge of the atom might change depending on the number of electrons (become neutral, negative or positive) but electrons stay electrons, protons stay protons etc

If you'd like me to explain more I'm sure I can give you an example.

Back
Top Bottom