Overclocking question

JoshSpence

Baseband Member
How much can I expect to be able to safely overclock my AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ I will be using it in an Antec P180 case, supposedly very quiet and cool, with 3x stock tricool 120mm fans (1 at the top, 1 in the sealed off PSU section and 1 at the back). The case has room for one more 120mm fan (at the front of the case) and one 80mm fan over the graphics card.

you will be stupid enough to do it.

About £250
About $400

^^ Thats for the cost of water cooling.

Upgrade about another 0.2 ghz

Overclocking is highly over rated, to be honest the increase in overall system performance isn't worth the extra cost. Overclocking can also decrease the life spam for the Computer components being overclocked.

If your Computer is running all the programs, software, games etc without any problems then theirs no need to overclock.

BullDog(UK)

hahahaha, i love how you guys hate overclocking. xx cobra xx, you dont need H20 for overclocking. People have gotten high clocks with highend air which costs under $85 depending on which fan you get. And BullDog, how long are you willing to keep your 4200+? I would guess a good 2 years at best. Overclocking will not shorten a cpus life by 3 years. As long as you keep temps under 50*C load and keep the voltage under 1.6V, you are fine. JoshSpence, your 4400+ should go to around 2.6-27 depending on your chip. Each one is different so no gurantees.

Well my CPU should last me a few years, looking at the current top game specs and ones from a couple of years ago, they've not changed much.

Battlefield 2 - CPU 1.7Ghz
Quake 4 - CPU 2Ghz
Call of Duty 2 - CPU 1.4Ghz
F.E.A.R - CPU 1.7Ghz

I would say with my current Computer, I've got about 3 to 5 years before my Computer becomes the minimum specs needed to run the latest games.

And if I wasn't a gamer, it could be even longer.

Only time will tell ;)

BullDog(UK)

Ok 1st of all. Overclocking does cut down on the over all life of your CPU. However by the time your CPU does "burn out" you will have upgraded. I have never had a CPU burn out i have always just upgraded. If you are worried about it buring out then you buy the $10 replacement plan. And yes you do get a increase in performace. When i was running 2.4GHZ with my GPU at stock 500mhz / 900mhz and i overclocked everything to 2.8 550 / 980 i went up 2000 points in 3dmark03

I also have to disagree with those people saying overclocking yeilds a very small performance increase. Just like kev i ran 3dMark03 with my stock 2.2Ghz and whatever the stock clock was for my 6600GT and got something like 7000 3d marks. Since then I have overclocked to 2.6 GHz and my card overclocked to whatever 550/1100 or whatever it says in my sig and my 3dmark03 score is now about 9400 3d marks.

ownage said:
hahahaha, i love how you guys hate overclocking. xx cobra xx, you dont need H20 for overclocking. People have gotten high clocks with highend air which costs under $85 depending on which fan you get. And BullDog, how long are you willing to keep your 4200+? I would guess a good 2 years at best. Overclocking will not shorten a cpus life by 3 years. As long as you keep temps under 50*C load and keep the voltage under 1.6V, you are fine. JoshSpence, your 4400+ should go to around 2.6-27 depending on your chip. Each one is different so no gurantees.

Lmao, I Am a O'C dude, I know what I am talking about, yor wrong, Getting water cooling like he said SAFE O'C, ffs read.

i think overclocking is perfectly safe as long as u know what temperatures to keep it within and i dont think water cooling is necessary, ya it makes it cooler for a higher overclock but u can overclock just with air cooling just fine, yes overclocking will shorten the life span of ur cpu but who cares it will still last at least 5 years and by then u would have upgraded

gaming_freak said:
i think overclocking is perfectly safe as long as u know what temperatures to keep it within and i dont think water cooling is necessary, ya it makes it cooler for a higher overclock but u can overclock just with air cooling just fine, yes overclocking will shorten the life span of ur cpu but who cares it will still last at least 5 years and by then u would have upgraded

Ding Ding Ding.

Back
Top Bottom