Pentium D vs Athlon 64 X2

1337DuD3 said:
Ok, walk up to your average Joe, who more then likly owns a Dell or a Gateway or somethign else, and say, "Hey, what kind of Pentium 4 do you own?" Do you honestly think he'll know? Of course not. Only computer technitions use that terminology. And are all of us here computer techs? No.

You'll be surprised. I've worked at Circuit City, and most people do know how fast their processor runs. People tend to buy their computers based on its speed, and not the fact that it's a Pentium. With that information, you can tell what model processor any person has.

Oh, and I'm a tech. You build computers and you're not a tech. Interesting. If you build computers then you ARE a tech, believe it or not. Don't be a stranger. Join the club :p

What the heck are you saying I don't know anything or very little about computer componets? I biult my own PC, and I help build friends PCs, as well as upgrade them with aftermarket parts! I know a lot about computer componets. if you don't believe mr ask a few members and they can tell you that I've helped some of them out with some of their threads regarding PC hardware.

And no, you will not be able to tell the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6 GHz CPU. No human on the planet can calculate how much a .1 GHz increase will affect their overall performance then be able to actually tell the difference it makes. Because once you're way high up in the processing speed it makes very little difference. If it was a lower CPU, say 600 MHz and you were goign to 700 MHz you might be able to tell the difference. But when you have a very fast CPU as is, you won't be able to tell the difference.

When overclocking an AMD, you do notice the difference. With a Pentium, you probably won't This is mainly due to the fact that AMDs do more per clock.

What's with the Farcry thing? Did I say the game won't be able to go higher then 66 FPS, NO!!! I said the HUMAN EYE can not see anythign greater then 66 FPS. Holy freakin' crap you need to read better!

Anywho back onto the actual topic of this now-dead thread...

Go with the Pentium D 930 CPU, it's a more cost worthy CPu to buy. It performs quite well and is cheaper. :)

People need better video cards to play the newer games out that require more from the video card. It has nothing to do with seeing past 66 fps. Why can't you understand that? You sound like a person who doesn't play games that much.

You'll be surprised. I've worked at Circuit City, and most people do know how fast their processor runs. People tend to buy their computers based on its speed, and not the fact that it's a Pentium. With that information, you can tell what model processor any person has.

Oh, and I'm a tech. You build computers and you're not a tech. Interesting. If you build computers then you ARE a tech, believe it or not. Don't be a stranger. Join the club :p

What I meant by Tech was the people who get paid to work on putting PCs together, I don't get paid to do what I do. I do it for free, and out of kindness towards a friend. And yes, most peopel do know the speed, but not their specific model or even what the CPU does. For instance, my friend knows he has a AMD K6 @ 500MHz I think it was, does he know the architecture or anythign else beyond that? No. That's the type of point I was trying to make.

When overclocking an AMD, you do notice the difference. With a Pentium, you probably won't This is mainly due to the fact that AMDs do more per clock.

I've never used an overclocked AMD or an overclocked intel. I have used a 2.6 GHz Athelon 64, and my Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz and I barely noticed a difference. I also had a better video card, but I wasn't using any games at the time. So I doubt the video card owuld make a difference when it comes to general computing.

People need better video cards to play the newer games out that require more from the video card. It has nothing to do with seeing past 66 fps. Why can't you understand that? You sound like a person who doesn't play games that much.

Actually I play games everyday, and rather often, which is why I decided to build my own PC and work my arse off to get the money to do so. Yes, the games do require more from the GPU, but that's not the point I am making. The point I'm making is that despite the fact that some video cards will hit 150+ FPS in a game doesn't matter, because the human eye can only see up to 66 FPS. That does not mean that the game doesn't need a more powerful card to generate and render the images.

1337DuD3 said:
Quinton McLeod said:

icon_up.gif

Quinton McLeod said:

The "Intel Duo" is another name for their Double Core processors. Presler would be an Intel Duo model.

Wrong.

Intel Core Duo or Core Solo is Intel's new name for their Pentium M line. It has nothing to do with the Pentium 4 or Pentium D line. The Presler is still a Pentium D model.

The Yonah core is not a double core processor. It's two cores on a single die.

HRHunteRHR said:
It's just because AMD owns most of the computer consumer income, regardless of their processor's certain advantages. It's not about how much you control, it's about what you control.

Actually, Intel still makes more revenue per processor than AMD does, even if AMD sells more processors than Intel does.

You guys answered all the questions here, Can you come to my forum since you know so much about the CPU X2. TY :D

1337DuD3 said:
So it seems that through our arguing, that people got their queations answered. Well I guess that's good! :D

Yeah.. so much. Im trying to catch up on it all..

Back
Top Bottom