Opinions Please?

cvfd1615

Baseband Member
Just wondering what ya all think of this

I bought this computer in 2003 and have had absolutely no problems with it.

Intel Celeron 2.7 Ghz
400 Mhz Front Side Bus
768 MB PC2700 Ram
Primary cache (L1) 8 KB of data cache
Secondary (L2) 512 KB of data cache
HD Space: 200 GB of Hard Drive Space
Audio: Soundblaster Live 5.1
Accessories: ATI TV Wonder

It does whatever I want it to with no problems.

Good for you then :p

I mean its not bad at all, and if it copes with what you do with it, no problems there :)
and since this is your first post, welcome, though I wonder why your first post was about this.

Things that stand out are the 200GB of hard drive space, and the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card. I have a 2.1 card, but need to update that soon when I get a new set of speakers.

Anything you would update if you could?

The programs I run, I'd probably need a slightly better processor, but I'd probably need a bit more RAM for program caching.

What type of things do you do?

Well I was just wondering what you experts thought of it.

I do basic stuff with it - Do alot of ham radio stuff with it and I do some Audio Editing with it ( Cool Edit Pro )

I have a 160 GB and a 40 GB HDD connected.

Anything you would update if you could?

( I don't understand )

Anything I can do with the processor?

What would it bring in the used market?

well i would upgrade the cpu im pretty sure u have a socket 478 so getting a P4 3GHz would really increase the performance with your comp

How much is a P4 3 Ghz Processor

What is required to change out the processor?

I may do that.

Please let me know

I didn't know I could do that with this computer

well first of all find out what socket u have to confirm that it is a 478, do that with a program called everest (google it and u will find it), the price varies where do u live? and to change it its as simple as taking the old one out and dropping the new one in then apply some thermal paste and put the heatsink on

Yeah, a new processor would definietly help your editing. Those editing programs are CPU hungry, and RAM hungry.

Though, because you've got that speed RAM, you may find that your motherboard won't support any higher, so you would maybe have to get a new motherboard, processor, and memory to make it an excellent computer.

I mena, you could just get the CPU, but with slow memory like you've got, it wouldn't do its best in programs like that, that eat it with the click of a mouse

The best speed memory for home users by the way is 3200 speed or DDR 400 as its otherwise known, and 1 gig of that would have you editing like no tomorrow compared to the stuff you have now.

I have a AMD CPU, but for editing, you are better off with a Intel Pentium, and so, Gaming Freak is putting you in the right shoes for this one.

OK I've confirmed that I have a 478 - I do have 768 of PC2700 and which I would upgrade to 1GB if needed but it probably wouldn't help it none.

I'm in North Central Kentucky - New Egg has it at 187.00 - I really don't do gaming but

I wanna be able to multitask with ease tho.

Should I just be satisfied with what I've got or is it actually worth it to maybe stick in a P4?

Right, well, it'd work, and would speed tihngs up immencely, but, your motherboard looks like a rather old one, unless your RAM isn't as fast as the motherboard supports.

For editing also, look for an Extreme Edition of that processor, though, it might be a tad bit more expensive... it basically adds another virtual core where programs use it, speeding some processes up. For instance, with rendering video, etc.

You by any chance know what motherboard you have?

If you can't get any faster RAM, then just getting more of it would help, but if you could afford it, a new motherboard that supported faster memory would be alot better for the processor, and would speed up the programs even more.

Multitasking wouldn't be an issue if you got all of that.

Back
Top Bottom