Need a new external HD

wooonelly

Baseband Member
Can anyone suggest a quality external hard drive for backup purposes? I have looked at tigerdirect and newegg and there seem to be some fine HDs but figured some people here have experience and knowledge that could help me out.

Want 160 Gb or more, USB interface.

well they are all slow. since they are usb..it doesnt matter if u have USB 2.0 or not.
but if u really needed it i would suggest a western digital one.

well my brother just got the wd passport 80 gigs one and its great. obviously they're going to be slower than your regular internal drive, but thats the point, for a backup go for as many gigs as you can get, and the rpms dont matter so much if all you're doing is pasting all your information on there every week or something.

Yeh, I will probably just paste it over.

I am probably going to go with WD. Thanks for the help.

I wanted one and couldnt find one that was good enough, so I ended up buying a normal HDD and an enclosure, quite fast and is very good.

I am partial to Acomdata E5 Series and
Buslink drives. I have several of each. Very sturdy and rather attractive cases.

Cheapest way though may be to buy your own case and install an IDE HDD in it. I prefer Acomdata 2163 Enclosures but the ones from Metal Gear Box are much cheaper and seem to work fine. Both permit easy removal of the drive from the cases without finicky plastic parts. In fact the Metal Gear Box does not even require a screwdriver!

Thank you. I didn't know they had enclosures for HDDs. I think that is the route I am going to go. Thanks again.

yup its most deffinately cheaper to get a case and a hard drive and put them together yourself and i recently used my case to format a stuborn hard drive that wouldnt format on a comp, very usefull

Back
Top Bottom