6600GT or 6800

The 6600gt can handle games up to F.E.A.R. (as in can't play F.E.A.R.)

if you plan on playing any more demanding games in the future go with a 6800.

i was in the same predicament as you, between the 6600GT and 6800, i went with the 6800 cuz it had better reviews and just played better. with it i can play BF2 and F.E.A.R. on medium settings (some options on high), plays WoW fine.

Here is something I am not understanding about the video card market. Some of you are saying that you have the 6600GT but will have some problems running newer games and such. Now I dont know about you guys but isnt it a bit crazy that to get a good enough card to play some of the games out there I have to spend $200-300. That is a lot of money for the younger group of game players out there that I imaging are the target market for these games. Hell, I"m too cheap to pay $200 for a card. But then again who do you look at? The software developers that makes these powerful games or the Vid card makers for charging an arm and a leg for thier product. I think that about sums it up. hahahaa

I have a Radeon 9800 pro, and even though its old, it plays F.E.A.R at high settings all except for antialising, and smooth shadowing, at a nice res of 800x600 smooth... gets about 40-60fps...

At 1024x768 it drops to 25fps sometimes, which is of course, still playable. Its more CPU orientated than graphics alot of the time.

But yeah, if you want to be playing new games in the future at high settings, your best going with the best one you can afford. It'll more than likely be worth it, and last you a good few years.

P.S, I wouldn't really blaim the software developers as they just try to take use of new technology.
I mean, if you were making a game, wouldn't you like to use all the advanced cababilities available to you? Of course you would! Especially since alot of games these days are rated on graphics.

If you have to blaim something though, blaim the video card manufacturers competing. Thats probably the best option :p

And $200 doesnt seem like ALOT of money, if you consider it could last you a very long time, and make games playable for ages. The 6600GT though still could (miles better than my card, and that can run F.E.A.R well enough to keep me happy) be quite a good purchase, even though its getting on a bit. Just don't expect to be able to play at super high settings and resoloutions on all games.

dmb51599 said:
Here is something I am not understanding about the video card market. Some of you are saying that you have the 6600GT but will have some problems running newer games and such. Now I dont know about you guys but isnt it a bit crazy that to get a good enough card to play some of the games out there I have to spend $200-300. That is a lot of money for the younger group of game players out there that I imaging are the target market for these games. Hell, I"m too cheap to pay $200 for a card. But then again who do you look at? The software developers that makes these powerful games or the Vid card makers for charging an arm and a leg for thier product. I think that about sums it up. hahahaa

You could buy a cheaper card bet then you would be playing all your games at the very bottom settings which looks like crap,lol. Thats why they put the video settings in computer games, so ppl with crappy cards can still play there games, and the ppl that can afford it can have there graphics.

Penguin001 said:
i was in the same predicament as you, between the 6600GT and 6800, i went with the 6800 cuz it had better reviews and just played better. with it i can play BF2 and F.E.A.R. on medium settings (some options on high), plays WoW fine.

i was also in exactly same situation and also went for the 6800! play bf2 great! also call of duty at my standard monitor resolution 1280x1024! cant remember all the wee things like AA and that, but its good!! :D

go 6800! and if you can get the gs, all the better!

Back
Top Bottom