Next Gen Games: Memory

ChaosPsychoGame

Baseband Member
Is 1 GB of RAM enough to play next gen games like WoW, DOOM 3, F.E.A.R. with no speed disruption. And it won't bottleneck the 7800 GTX will it. Also, if it is low latency/ultra low latency with liquid cooling, do you think I can overclock it to perform somewhere near normal 2 gigs of RAM?

Most games today prob run on 512mb ram. So as long as ur not clogging up your memory with other applications while you are gaming, it should be fine. As for your other question, I am not the greatest with that sort of stuff and overclocking so ask 99asha about it, he knows about overclocking and stuff.

Yeah, it seems like enough. I've gone through 2 computers in the past two weeks (long story). They have both had 2048 MB of RAM and performed excellently in games; just hoping that the switch to low latency 1024 MB RAM won't be substantial. ( I plan on upgrading later )

The more RAM you have the better, just put it that way. That way you can run the game at better settings, while still being able to have Windows run stable. Or, you can be cool and get Linux! The difference Linux using Wine makes is incredible. A friend of mine tested the difference in memory usage is between Windows and Linux, it was a 30FPS difference on an X850XT PE! That's HUGE. And that's all from background tasks using memory and using up the graphics card memory!

ya linux is good but ive never found out if u can install all the regular games on linux maybe u could answer my question on that 1337DuD3 lol anyways 1gb should be fine for gaming right now but ive read many stories where upgrading to 2gbs is huge increase in performance gaming wise

If you use Linux you can download a program called Wine. What it does is emulate the Windows application, so you can actually run Windows things, such as IE, Outlook, and so on.

http://www.winehq.com/

Some friends and I have been testing Wine to see how well it functions with today's games. So far we have been able to susccesfully, and stably, run Counter Strike, Counter Strike Condition Zero, Counter Strike Source, Half Life Source, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2 Special Forces, Command & Conquer Generals, and we're hoping to successfully get F.E.A.R to run as well. This goes to show that no matter what the target OS is, you can always get the application to run via emulation!

But back to the RAM topic.

The more RAM a program can utilize the better. The more it doesn't have to directly process is the key. The more the program can store in memory is better, that way it can access it later, while the processor processes your current data. It's like moving something for instance. Say you had to pack all of your things up, and get them to your other house as soon as you could. Well, say you only had two trucks, both being the large U-hauls. you can only store so many things into the U-Haul at once. Therefore, the more trips it will take with two U-Hauls as opossed to how many it would take with 10 U-Hauls. Get the idea? If not that's OK. But essentially it's how much you can process in the quickest amoutn of time.

The more data you can store, the better, that way you can process it later. In relation to our U-Haul example, the processing would be unloading the U-Haul. So the more you can store in the U-Haul (The RAM) the more it can be sent to the other house and unpacked (the CPU processing the data). I hope that makes sense. :)

One gigabyte is plenty. No need to OC. But, 1.5 gigabytes or 2 gigabytes is better then one.

I play all my games using 1 gig of RAM. So it's OK.

1gb should be good enough for now, as it is the standard nowadays. However, going with 2gb is recommended because it will help out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom