iPod or Creative Zen?

A few things put me off about that though, but I can't remember what they were :p

Well, I have The iriver H10 20GB and it's a great machine. Navagation is a breeze and the LCD screen looks great. It also has a voice recorder and an FM radio. (Something I-Pod Lacks). It stores Pictures and text. You can even record from the radio to it! Putting songs on it through windows media player is easy. The Iriver supports WMA files, where as the Ipod does not.

As far as the Zen Vs. The Ipod, I'm not really sure. I don't know much of anything about the Zen. I hear that many people with windows have a ton of problems with the I-Pod software. Check out reviews on any website or the apple discussion board for evidence.

Yeah, i-River is a good company, and especially good for recording using the recorder since they contain line in's for MIC's, yet the H10 has missed out on this, with an extra attachment needed if you want to do it.

The Zen's have all the rest of the features though. Voice recorder, FM radio (record), and plays WMA's. Though I don't see the hype in WMA. They arent noticably better in quality, and use up so much battery life on players, alot don't bother implementing it, though its no where near as battery hungry as the uncompressed format i've just forgotten the name of...

The only problem I have with ZEN's unles they've fixed it now is the software you have to use to import music to the device (since its used to catorgarise Album/Artist/Genre, etc, and you can't even listen to the music on your computer from the player, unless you use the built in player on the Creative program which would of course lack the features of Windows Media Player or Winamp :(

Other than that, Creative players are very good, and definietly beat I-Pods...
Heck, any player beats an I-pod in my opinion... well, I'm sure there are a few that don't, but you know...not many.

Now there are some really good players around now, and companies have gotten to grips with how to make a good player, what they really need to seriously aim for is a higher battery life. I don't think for any player 14 hours is good enough for something that can hold 5,000+ songs... meaning if you listen to music all the time, like me, your going to be recharging it alot.

I mean, would it be hard to have a bigger battery? Or a removable one in all players?
If its just fashion stopping this from happening, its stupid, since whats more important, it looking slim and "fashionable", or having a very weak battery where you can only listen to music for short periods?
I mean, it wouldn't add that much extra depth to have a 24+ hour battery i'm sure.

Though, if you look at what people have said about the new Creative Zen Vision: M against the Apple Ipod Video, with only a few milimetres of depth difference, you realise how stuipid people can be. If it can fit in the pocket, whats the damn problem?!!!

I've had my 30gig zen for about 1 1/2 years and I love it. I use it to not only hold my music but to also hold my movies and pictures as a comp. backup.
I really regreted getting it and wished that I'd have bought an iPod but now I'm sure that I made the right decision. It rides to school with me on the bus there and back each day, stays on at school (sometimes) and rides on trips and have NEVER had it freeze on me. It's just plain tuff, and although compared to an iPod it's thicker it really is pretty small.
Hope that helps.

Yeah, a small size doesn't make a good mp3 player... it just basically makes things easier to go wrong...alot of the time.

And yeah, i wish it idnt have to use the Zen software...
Well.. I wouldn't mind it if it didnt restrict what windows can do, for example to open it in my computer and check properties etc, though all it gives you is "explore" and another option.

Plus, it wouldn't be soo bad if you could listen to music using a standard player, but it seems you can only do this if the media files are stored in the partition for standard backup media, which sucks alot :(

This was tested with the Creative Zen Micro about a week back.

--------------

Another player i've noticed though that probably has some other feature making it not worth while though.

Has anyone seen the new one from Panasonic I think it is?

It looks down right ugly and the navigation doesnt look that great either making it look more like a radio, but it plays mp3, radio and video (think only mp4 though) but has 25 hour of battery life.

I haven't done much research on that one though to be honest. It does come to a point where looks can kill :p

Zens are reallly durable. My zen fell the 2nd day i got it :( and it left A LOT of marks but played fine. Actually it only took out a corner. Plus, the battery life on a zen DESTROYS ipods. iPods are overrated. And zens are compatible with Windows Media player. Because...
WMP>iTunes.

I am an Ipod Mini owner and I must admit that it does its job very well with the appearance, size and quality. However, I am a bit disappointed with the sound it produces [it truly lacks quality in the higher volume end] and the fact that comes with neither FM Radio nor Voice Recorder. So basically, if you want greater features, performance and compatibility, sacrificing for greater size, Creative Zen is the way to go.

Yep, and I ordered my Creative Zen Vision M from Savastore yesterday :D It said none would be available for 2-5 days, but I got confirmation today that its been dispatched, so should get it tomorrow :D
Good service or what?!

Plus its costing me after delivery charges, 10 quid cheaper than shops in my area will sell it for (£250) and I still get a year warrenty because it is a real shop somewhere.
Though I've never seen it about.

So, I'll get it about 3-4 weeks faster than shops in my area will, so I'll be one of the first to have it :D

Yay!!!

It'll be a great player, since it has everything I want. Only downside I'm worrying about still, which I'll talk about more when I get it, is the battery life. But we'll see if it suffices for me, since I listen to music almost 24/7, honestly.
I fell asleep with music in my ears last night!
The CD player/MP3 player I'm using at the moment was still playing in the morning fine! Though it has a rated time of 50 hours a battery.

I'm not an apple critic or fanboy.

When I use my PC, I like everything sleek, clean and no unesessary crap installed.

iTunes - I can't stand it! Windows MP does all for me, and I personally prefer it's library to the iTunes. On my iBook, I'm forced to use iTunes. WMP for Mac is very cut down so it's no option.

Also, iTunes had an awful habit of installing Quicktime and complaining when I remove it. Often managing to put it back after opening iTunes. And it's just as good at making sure that it runs in the taskbar at all times too.

I feel as most Apple software just wants to rape my PC and stay in my face all the time. I'd rather everything just be tidy and put away when not needed.

So, for that simple - if picky (i'm a perfectionist) - reason, I'd go Zen.

Also, as a few people have pointed out, better noise to sound ratio (better sound quality), more file format support (not that you need more than MP3 to be fair though). One grip I do have about the iPod though, I don't know if it still stands though, but the battery is terrible. My girlfriends iPod battery lost the ability to hold charge for more than a mere 3 songs after 3 months of having it. And the replacment is already starting to go that way again after 2 months. That was the last Gen of iPods though.

If it were'nt for iTunes only, I personally would go iPod, because all the benifits that the Zen has over iPod are trivial for my usage. I do own a Zen though, cheaper too. But I think these new iPods are the nicest MP3 players out. I didn't like the look of the previous ones though, and I'm guessing they've now got rid of the battery problem because it was a widespreed and major one at the time - they would'nt be able to afford no fixing it.

Back
Top Bottom