How do you completely remove thermal pads?

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey, to make a long story short, I have wax build up on my CPU, which effects the cooling. How do I get it off? So far I have tried Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and mineral spirits. There is still a very thin layer on there. Any ideas? Can I scrub the CPU? Can I sand it using fine grit sandpaper? Any help would be great.

Derek

I read somewhere that heating them up helps the material come off but it looks like you've tried a lot already...Don't know if that'll help.

...If not, resort to a sandblaster :)

Yeah, I thought about heating it up, and then using the alcohol. The only thing I'm concerned about is the direct heat to the pins. I heard that using fine grit sandpaper (taping the paper to the table, and sliding the cpu) would help. I'm just wondering if that could throw something off in performance/cooling of the CPU.

Thanks,
Derek

i wold not use anythig abrasive.
you will physicaly alter the cooling surface once you sand it, this could well cause overheating.
you might want to try a tiny drop of nailvarnish remover. rub it lightly with a paper towel.
woz

Hey. Yeah, I was just about to ask if nail polish remover is safe to use. On the Arctic Silver 5 directions it says not to, but it seems like if you use isopropyl afterwards it should be fine.

THanks,
derek

i wouldnt if i were u, just use some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth and just clean it as best u can with that and thats all u need to do, even if theres a bit left it wont affect the artic silver 5

Back
Top Bottom