Help Me With My New Computer

ChaosPsychoGame

Baseband Member
Well, I've bought two computers so far; one from CyberPower, and one from Fry's. I've been dissapointed with both of them, and am going to return the second one tomorrow. Anyways, this time I thought I'd fetch out the money to buy an Alienware computer, because everyone I know who has one has no negative feedback other than the cost. So, I was wondering how this setup is, and if anyone has any recommendations on different parts to get.

Alienware nForce4 SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Service Pack 2
Alienware 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply
Alienware AlienIce 2.0 Video Cooling with Acoustic Dampening
256 MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX
AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer
1 GB -2 x 512 MB Ultra Low Latency PC3200 SDRAM at 400 Mhz
250 GB Serial ATA II 3Gb 7200 RPM w/ 32MB
Optical Drive 1: 16x DVD-ROM drive with software DVD Decoder
Optical Drive 2: 16x Dual Layer DVD + R/W Drive
Integrated High Performance 7.1 Surround Sound with S/PDIF & coaxial digital outputs
Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Alienware 10-in-1 Digital Media Reader/Writer
Alienware Respawn Recovery Kit

Well, that's the computer I've set up so far. Does anyone recommend any changes that I should look about making. I was thinking 1 GB Ultra Low Latency would be alright for me, because I can OC it, and, at least at this point in time, I don't really use any very intense RAM-eating programs. I intend to use this computer for extreme gaming, mostly WoW, and Doom 3, but also maybe a bit of F.E.A.R., and any new games that come out. So, can anyone give me any feedback on this possible future computer; and if you have an Alienware computer, can you tell me if it has pleased you or not.

Also, will the 2.0 Video Cooling be adequate for a bit of OCing, not extreme, but some? And I'm under the impression that this computer has a lot of room for expansion. Am I correct in assuming that?

Well,Well,Well ......
I see your searching a for a computer as well. Why don't you build one? Like me :p

My knowledge on how to build computers is quite limited, and I'd rather pay the extra money for a high-end company to construct it rather than try to build it off of a FAQ and run into problems.

It's not as hard as it seems to build a PC. It looks like you know a bit about computer components so that's a good start. What I would do first once all the parts are in is to prepare the motherboard. I will take it out of the packaging and anti-static bag and place the motherboard on the bag. Get the CPU out of its packaging and prepare that on the motherboard. Secure it in it's socket and take off the thermal compound under the heatsink. Secure the heatsink. Install RAM (refer to motherboard manual for dual channel configuration). Install spacers or whatever in the case where the motherboard will sit in the case.

Secure the motherboard to the case. Then add the wires from the case to the motherboard (this part gets tricky for a lot of people, but if you refer to the motherboard manual carefully, this should pose no problems). Install the video card. Plug the power cable from the power supply to the motherboard and power on for the first time. Check CPU fan if it works and see if POST ocurrs. If RAM count is there, you are good to go. Turn PC off again.

Install sound card, hard drives, DVD burners, etc, etc. That's it. Run and install OS, dirvers, software.

Unless you just don't pay attention nothing is going to happen. Make sure you have an anti-static mat to build on, devote 5 hours to it, and save yourself 1,000 dollars. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

And, I'm just curious, but the PC you have listed in your signature seems really good... And you're disappointed with that?!

I'm just having problems with it; not dissapointed. With my first computer (same hardware as current), they sent me the wrong video cards, and wanted to charge me $500 to send me the ones I purchased in the first place. This one has been having system failures, as well as PSU failures.

Oh, that's unfortunate... Well, replacing a PSU isn't bad at all, and I have a similar system to yours and my PSU is rock solid with it (I always brag about this dang thing, it is really good!).

About system failures, have you tried a reformat of the hard drive? Or do you mean system failures as in hardware is not functioning correctly...?

lol..i also have a cyberpower yeah they have all them bad reviews but Hey mine actually works preety good..the one thing they messed up on is my Dvd Burner they sent the wrong one but they replaced it and i didnt pay nuttin overall they are OK..but i wouldnt buy from them again

Back
Top Bottom