removing bloatware

here_is_gone

In Runtime
I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. My dad has one, and it has a fair amount of bloatware; would it be enough of an increase in performance to be worth it if i wiped my hard drive and did a clean install of windows?

Ok, well, for those who don't know, bloatware is software that is so overloaded with functionality that its performance suffers. At the very least, it takes a long time to load the program. Software vendors seem to have the perception that more is always better. So, I just have to question this: is it really that bad? You could try defraging, see if that helps. Somtimes those programs actually help your functionality. I would contact dell and see if the format would impair your comp. Just to be sure.

you could just remove any programs you are not interested in using the "add or remove programs" function in the control panel. if you do a clean install of windows, you will lose the hidden dell recovery partition (which isn't necessarily bad, but you need to be aware that you will lose it). and if you do a clean install, make sure you have the cd's for any programs which you do want to keep so you can reinstall them after.

Alright, I'll try using add of remove programs. I haven't actually gotten my laptop yet but I'll see how much junk I'm able to remove with add or remove programs and make a decision from there. If i did a clean install would it be possible to replace the Dell recovery partition when I reinstalled windows?

You might be able to download it from DELL. I know I could download Support Centre etc when I had my DELL.

here_is_gone said:
If i did a clean install would it be possible to replace the Dell recovery partition when I reinstalled windows?

Not that I know of...unless you call dell and have them send you some recovery disks that have on them the computer exactly the way it was when you got it, but good luck because I tried that and they sent me a 4 disk set, but I couldn't get it to work, so I just reinstalled windows and the programs. You'll be lucky if they even send you the windows cd...i don't know if they still do that automatically, or if you have to call and bug them for it. I guess you'll find out when you get it.

Wait, wait... If it is a partition on the hard drive, then just don't erase that partition. Reformat the old partition that Windows was installed on primarily, and it shouldn't affect anything on the other one.

Unless, you don't mean that kind of partition. I don't know; I'm speaking in a somewhat unfamiliar territory here.

Back
Top Bottom