Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quinton McLeod said:

1) The processor is already out. Did you know that? :p

2) The 955xe was already compared to the X2 4800+ and lost.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1767167

3) The FX-60 was just released and it runs circles around the 955xe

4) It can reach 4.5 off of air cooling at above 80C. That's throttling. Why don't you over clock the 4800+ to 80C and see who wins. So umm.. No, that's not impressive.

5) The end

1.) Umm okay...:rolleyes:

2.) Yeah, that's stock. They haven't even tapped the Presler's full potential.

3.) Yeah for $1,200 and AM2 right around the corner, definately the worst buy ever. It only runs circles when at stock, but overclock them and the tide turns.

4.) How do you know it's at 80c? Try not to make any foolish assumptions. It doesn't run THAT high. Even if it was watercooling it'll overclock way better anyways.

5.) Shut up.

6.) Don't pay to much for car insurance and gas.

1337DuD3 said:
1) No duh...

2) That had no supporting evidence whatsoever, just some kid who stated an opinion. Try better next time. :)

3) No the FX-60 does not run "circles'' around the Conroe. The FX-60 is a 90nm chip that uses almost the exact same lay out as the FX-57 and other such processors. It's a disappointing chip...

4) Yes, 4.5GHz on air IS impressive. Let's see your CPU do that!

5) You've been 0wn3d. The End.

Oh, this is going to be fun!

1) hehehehehe

2) The forum is a direct response to the article put up by AandTech... You should read the article linked from that post.

3) I wasn't talking about the Conroe (which isn't out yet). I was talking about the Presler... The 955xe is the Presler core. Get your facts straight :p

4) 4.5Ghz running at 79C is not impressive. Like I said before, that's throttling. Over clock the X2 4800+ at 79C and then compare.

5) No I haven't... You've been pwned! The End!

alvino said:
1.) Umm okay... :rolleyes:

2.) Yeah, that's stock. They haven't even tapped the Presler's full potential.

3.) Yeah for $1,200 and AM2 right around the corner, definately the worst buy ever. It only runs circles when at stock, but overclock them and the tide turns.

4.) How do you know it's at 80c? Try not to make any foolish assumptions. It doesn't run THAT high. Even if it was watercooling it'll overclock way better anyways.

5.) Shut up.

6.) Don't pay to much for car insurance and gas.

1) Hehehehehehe

2) Tapped it's full power?! The processors were both running on stock! Except that Intel already overclocked their little processor just so it could hold a candle to AMD's old technology. If you were to further over clock the Presler and over clock the AMD 4800+ (without Nitro) then the results will be in AMD's favor. The reason no one can tell about what AMD can do if over clocked on Nitro is because there was a cold bug. That means the processor's components froze before they could do any serious overclocking. So, you can't count AMD out on that.

3) rofl! You already have to buy a new MB for the 955xe aside from Intel's other processors. The Presler uses an entirely different CHIPSET... Talk about hypocrite. The AM2 is no different than what Intel has been doing with their entire P4 and XE lineup. They constantly change their sockets on their customers. If the X2 runs circles around the Presler in stock, it'll run circles around it overclocked as well. You just don't get it, do you? Those above links concerning overclocking the Presler was on LIQUID NITROGEN! When they tried it on the AMD, the components froze. So, like I said before, you can't count AMD out until they are able to establish a reasonable overclock without the processor turning into ice.

4) How do I know it's on 80C?! Everybody knows it's at 80C. Take a look here:
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Dec/bch20051228033991.htm

If it was on watercooling, it would NOT overclock better. It runs too freaking hot! Read the responses from the url I provided you. You'll see it yourself.

5) Yes, dad!

6) Thanks to the US economy, I can't help buy pay more :(

Quinton McLeod said:

Oh, this is going to be fun!

1) hehehehehe

2) The forum is a direct response to the article put up by AandTech... You should read the article linked from that post.

3) I wasn't talking about the Conroe (which isn't out yet). I was talking about the Presler... The 955xe is the Presler core. Get your facts straight :p

4) 4.5Ghz running at 79C is not impressive. Like I said before, that's throttling. Over clock the X2 4800+ at 79C and then compare.

5) No I haven't... You've been pwned! The End!

1) "hehehe" what are you a girl!?

2) No that thread was based off of some kids opinion, not an "official" site. You're a duesch...

3) First off you weren't talking about the Presler or the Conroe, the orginal "chip" that you were referring to was the FX-60, which is a waste of money because the AM2 socket is coming out very soon. Not to mention the X2 is a better processor. But, even then, the new intel Conroe will own both. Heck, the Presler owns! You, are a retard. you argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't even know what you are arguing about. For instance, you don't even know what chip you were arguing about, first, it was the FX-60, then the Presler, then the conroe. What next? A made up no ones heard of. You are a duesch...

4) How is 4.5GHz NOT impressive? Does your CPU run at that speed? Have you even used a CPU at that speed. You're so stupid! You're complaining that 4.5GHz isn't "impressive", omfg you are the most iggnorant person ever, and a deusch! Being able to run a CPU at 4.5GHz is AMAZING! Hell, the new Presler can run all the way up to 6.6GHz. Can the AMD do that!? NO!!!!

5) Yes, you've been 0wn3d numerous times, so just walk away in shame, or, be a duesch and make yet another irrelavent post and argue with no facts or anything whatsoever. YOU'VE BEEN 0WN3D YOU FREAKIN DUESCH!!!!!!! SO SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!!!!!

1337DuD3 said:
1) "hehehe" what are you a girl!?

I'm your Fairy God Mother!

2) No that thread was based off of some kids opinion, not an "official" site. You're a duesch...

No. It was based off an article. You can read it if you want:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2658

3) First off you weren't talking about the Presler or the Conroe, the orginal "chip" that you were referring to was the FX-60, which is a waste of money because the AM2 socket is coming out very soon. Not to mention the X2 is a better processor. But, even then, the new intel Conroe will own both. Heck, the Presler owns! You, are a retard. you argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't even know what you are arguing about. For instance, you don't even know what chip you were arguing about, first, it was the FX-60, then the Presler, then the conroe. What next? A made up no ones heard of. You are a duesch...

You must have a really short memory. This is what you said:
"
No the FX-60 does not run "circles'' around the Conroe. The FX-60 is a 90nm chip that uses almost the exact same lay out as the FX-57 and other such processors. It's a disappointing chip..."

You said Conroe, not me. I simply told you I was NOT talking about the Conroe. I was comparing the X2 with the Presler and not the Conroe, ok?

4) How is 4.5GHz NOT impressive? Does your CPU run at that speed? Have you even used a CPU at that speed. You're so stupid! You're complaining that 4.5GHz isn't "impressive", omfg you are the most iggnorant person ever, and a deusch! Being able to run a CPU at 4.5GHz is AMAZING! Hell, the new Presler can run all the way up to 6.6GHz. Can the AMD do that!? NO!!!!

Because clock cycles do not equal performance. Sure, the number "looks" impressive, but performance is a different story.

However, I was insisting on the fact that the temperture is extremely high. A processor that can reach 4.5 or 4.7ghz while risking a total meltdown is not impressive. That leads to an unstable overclock. I'll be impressed if it ran cooler than 79C

5) Yes, you've been 0wn3d numerous times, so just walk away in shame, or, be a duesch and make yet another irrelavent post and argue with no facts or anything whatsoever. YOU'VE BEEN 0WN3D YOU FREAKIN DUESCH!!!!!!! SO SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!!!!!

Often times when a person knows they're losing a debate, they often insult the other person's character in an attempt to draw the conversation towards the intelligence quota of the person in question. This is a method used to hide embarrassment. Instead of insulting me to make yourself feel better, how about you back up your claims with facts. I've been doing it all along. You should try it too.

Have a nice day! :D

okay, it was 79*C because of the stock cooler. Now try running an AMD FX-60 on the stock cooler at 3.0Ghz+ okay?? omfg.

ownage said:
okay, it was 79*C because of the stock cooler. Now try running an AMD FX-60 on the stock cooler at 3.0Ghz+ okay?? omfg.

You still don't get it, do you?

The Presler can't beat the FX-60, even when overclocked (unless you're using Nitro).
The Presler had to be overclocked just to beat the X2 4800 in synthetic benchmarks... However, it has yet to beat it in gaming benchmarks, which is sad. Here you have an overclocked processor competiting against a stock cooled processor and still having a hard time. That lets you know how far behind Intel is.

I know what you are trying to say. Do you even know why Intel sucks at gaming? DO YOU???

The Presler isn't even a gaming chip! It's meant for MULTITASKING! Do you know what that means? Apparently not. So, let me show you!

Wikipedia.com said:
In computing, multitasking is a method by which multiple tasks, also known as processes, share common processing resources such as a CPU. In the case of a computer with a single CPU, only one task is said to be running at any point in time, meaning that the CPU is actively executing instructions for that task. Multitasking solves the problem by scheduling which task may be the one running at any given time, and when another waiting task gets a turn. The act of reassigning a CPU from one task to another one is called a context switch. When context switches occur frequently enough the illusion of parallelism is achieved. Even on computers with more than one CPU (called multiprocessor machines), multitasking allows many more tasks to be run than there are CPUs.

Operating systems may adopt one of many different scheduling strategies, which generally fall into the following categories:

* In multiprogramming systems, the running task keeps running until it performs an operation that requires waiting for an external event (e.g. reading from a tape) or until the computers scheduler forcibly swaps the running task out of the CPU. Multiprogramming systems are designed to maximize CPU usage.
* In time-sharing systems, the running task is required to relinquish the CPU, either voluntarily or by an external event such as a hardware interrupt. Time sharing systems are designed to allow several programs to execute apparently simultaneously.
* In real-time systems, some waiting tasks are guaranteed to be given the CPU when an external event occurs. Real time systems are designed to control mechanical devices such as industrial robots, which require timely processing.

Nowadays, the term time-sharing is seldom used, being replaced by simply multitasking.

The Presler is NOT a gaming processor, it's a dual core multitasking processor. IT IS NOT MEANT FOR GAMING! The FX-60 is! They are two very different CPUs. However, the Presler is BETTER then the X2 4800+ in MULTITASKING.

Want proof!? Well, here it is!

SYSMark 2004 SE
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_11.html

Audio and Video Encoding
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_12.html

Image and Video Editing
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_13.html

Gaming Applications
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_14.html

As you can clearly see, the Presler wins in every single event involving multitasking, and even in some gaming applications! The AMD Athelon X2 4800+ is NOT a better mulitasking CPU, which is what it is designed for, hence the DUAL CORES. A Dual-Core CPU is not meant for gaming, although it can, unliek the FX-60, which is meant to be a dual-core gaming CPU. And seeing as how intel currently at the moment has no dual-core gaming CPU, you can't compare. But, once the Conroe comes out, that very well may change!

the presler is not good for gaming because of its 31 stage pipeline. Do you know what the happens to the pipelines when you game? Do you know what happens to the pipelines when you encode video? I guess quiton, because you are one of those ignorant AMD fan boys. Learn to accept both sides of the world and stop acting like a 10 year old.

ownage said:
the presler is not good for gaming because of its 31 stage pipeline. Do you know what the happens to the pipelines when you game? Do you know what happens to the pipelines when you encode video? I guess quiton, because you are one of those ignorant AMD fan boys. Learn to accept both sides of the world and stop acting like a 10 year old.

Interesting how all of a sudden you're argument changes to, "Presler isn't geared toward games". Our original argument was about overall performance... The Presler failed that test already, as an older processor out performs it.

The Intel Presler's pipelines isn't whats holding it back. It's the entire architexture. The way it was built, it was made to have multiple bottlenecks.

1) The Dual (Double) Core process that Intel has laid out is a bottleneck. For one thing, the cores can't even talk to each other directly. They have to communicate directly through the FSB. That's a bottleneck

2) The cores are based of the CISC instruction set which already forces the processor to do less per clock. That's a bottleneck.

3) The Netburst technology, where you take the CPU's instructions and disassemble them and reassemble them in the assembly line format, is slow. It also makes the processor run much hotter.

4) The forever aging FSB is one of the biggest bottlenecks. Especially since the cores communicate using this same bus.

As far as pipelines are concerned. Encoding for the Presler is easy because all the pipelines are doing is streaming the same data over and over and over. So, there's not much calculating considering that encoding is nothing more but repeating the same calculations over and over.

Back
Top Bottom