Poll: who has the accent?

mark thorpe

Golden Master
Americans or British, im having a little fun argument with one of my very good friends, shes americain and insists that us british have an accent, and im english, and think its the americans who have an accent, which do you think?

p.s anyone voting for the english will be banned ( :eek: ;) JOKE!!)

I seriously think that they english have the accent, but, it's like my debate yesterday on this argument “This house believes that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.” As you can see, one side will see an attacker as a terrorist, but, the attacking side will see themselves as freedom fighters. We can't correctly go with it and just say who is who, with what accent. It's very subjective and we can't just say straight out who has the accent because we all think differently and have different standards, live in different places, and experience and see and feel different things.

If you want people who don't have an accent, try people like me. Edinburgh accents sound so neutral and bland.

hmmm....this is a hard one....i can't vote on the poll as i would have to say both...

Yeah... we both have accents... Like Americas definietly have accents to me, because I'm British, but I know for sure even though I can't hear my accent (people from around my area), in other parts of britain, I can hear a susinct accent, so this doesn't really make much sense :p It'd probably be the same in other parts of America I would imagine since its bigger...

It's spelled AMERICAN. Not americain.
I have a southern drawl but there is nothing worse than trying to understand a cocney. My mom was English and my father was German. WW2 never ended around my house. When they got in to it you couldna be understanding the lot of them...

I'd say its just dialogs really. Everyone speaks differently with geographical locations within the same country even

David Lindon said:
I'd say its just dialogs really. Everyone speaks differently with geographical locations within the same country even

Just out of interest, how do people in your area speak? The south of England has varied accents, does it not?

Apparently the Edinburgh accent was voted the nation's favourite not so long ago, but it's so dull and neutral. Newcastle and Liverpool get my votes!

Back
Top Bottom