Anybody have 4 GIGS or know how to use them?

Zaki said:
Hi i recently bought 4 gigs of corsair xms ram and installed them into my new asus a8n32-sli delxue motherboard, to my surprise the bios "system information" screen reads :
MEMORY:
Installed size: 4 gigs
Usable size: 3 gigs

What!!!! how can i fix this, someone please let me know.

thanks.

That is normal. It is working fine. AMD chipsets use 1 gig of ram when you put 4 in, for system ONLY ram. leaving you 3 gigs for general usage. another downside to the AMD chipset when you get into the really highend. You have to deal with it.
also with 4 gigs you are using (2T) timings which sucks. 2 gigs at (1T) is way better. return that 4 gigs and get 2

hmm not sure why the start up is like that. but i heard that Windows XP (32bit version) will only read and make use of 3.5GB of ram. also heard some where that the 64bit processors can handle 128GB of ram if any mobo out there can hold that. (is that possible kinda hard to believe)

LambZero said:
hmm not sure why the start up is like that. but i heard that Windows XP (32bit version) will only read and make use of 3.5GB of ram. also heard some where that the 64bit processors can handle 128GB of ram if any mobo out there can hold that. (is that possible kinda hard to believe)

128 gigs of ram :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is right out of both my asus p4p800-e deluxe and asus k8n user guides: "When all 4 sockets are populated with 1gb dimms (total 4 gb), the system may detect only 3+gb (a little less than 4gb) due to the southbridge resource allocation." I ran into this problem and i tested each stick of ram to find all were fine. now if you check your mobo asus probe program it shows all four gb in use. so as far as i know you do use all four, just one gb is dedicated to the southbridge. also when you use all four your system goes into dual-channel mode by default. hope this helps

bill

Back
Top Bottom