What IS my PROBLEM!?!?!

b182tm

In Runtime
I am SOOOO frustrated right now. I just bought a Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler for my CPU. I spent $50.00, and at least 3 hours installation time, and my temps. are the same if not higher!!! I am running idle about 48 degrees celcius. Before it was around 45 degrees celcius. I dont know what the heck the problem is!?!? Can anyone help me? Are these temps normal? Could I have put too much Arctic Silver on??? I put like this much on: O I really dont want to have to take off the HSF again, it is such a pain in the ass. Please help, anyone.

Thanks,
Derek

Intel P4 3.0 GHz

he said he used Arctic Silver, lol and he even specified how much, O lol

perhaps you just havent installed it correctly? read the instructions like 50 times or even better get someone else to read it to you, sometime we overlook some things

oh wait nvm lol didnt read it right anyways what case cooling do u have? also when applying artic silver u just want to put a small blob in the middle and with a peice of plastic smooth it out so its a paper thin layer across the whole cpu

Well, I have a front intake, two back exhausts, and the HSF. On the instructions for Arctic Silver it says to just place the HSF on it, and it spreads itself...I really dont want to go in there again. If 48 isnt too high (what do you think?) I might leave it on there and do it sometime when I'm really bored, like in the summer. It is just such a pain to take the whole computer apart, and unscrew the tiny nuts, without breaking anything on the mobo.

Thanks for the help guys,
Derek

ya ive heard that because these heatsinks are so big and heavy they can pull away from the cpu and that can seriously affect it

try pressing on the heatsink while the comp is on and see if the temp comes down, if it does then thats the problem

Hey. my temps got up to 71 overnight, and I tried pushing on the HSF and it didnt do anything. I turned it off, but I did get it down to 65 by putting a fan directly on it before I turned it off. I took my computer apart again, and now I am about to put the Arctic Silver 5 on again. What do you guys use to get AS5 off the CPU? I used 70% rubbing alcohol, and Mineral spirits. The thing is, it still looks like there is a layer in the "microscopic valleys". I read that if you start with a thermal pad, the wax gets stuck, and you cant get it out. Could that be part of the problem? Also, how do you put the AS5 on? I followed their directions, almost perfectly, and that doesnt seem to work. Do I spread it out on the CPU, or just put a glob on and place the HSF on? Any help/tips/ideas are GREATLY appreciated, even if none of my questions above are awnsered. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks guys,
Derek
BTW, it is right next to my desk, on the floor. My room temp. is usually around 78 degrees fahrenheit (about 25-26 celsius) I have 3 fans running, and wires I made sure to maximize airflow by tucking them all in.

Back
Top Bottom