Component Explanation

G9

Daemon Poster
I will need some help in seeing what all these components are for. I'm not thinking about an Alienware Server, but this lays out all the parts in an easy way so I chose it as an example:

LINK

The processor is an easy matter.

The operating system will be self-installed linux, not windows.

The memory, I'm assuming, is how fast the server runs?

What are the common trays, and are two necessary?

What are all the harddrives about? Do they all contain different data, or the same thing just mirrors (RAID)?

What are controllers, and would a second one be nice? What exactly do they control?

CD-ROM, video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and mousepad are self-explanatory.

What is management software used for, and what is NOS support?

Forget the productivity and the licenses...

Of the peripherals, accessories, and media, which are necessary, which are unnecessary, and which are good to get but not necessary? :p

The power supply is self-explanatory...

The network card... would this be used to connect to the service provider?

I kind of get how RAID works, but in this case the RAID configuration's wording of directions baffles me. Additionally, out of all the terms, RAID 1 is the only one I'm familiar with. What are the others?

What is Hot Spare Hard Drive RAID Setup?

What are harddrive backplanes, and are additional ones necessary?

The rest is self-explanatory.

Wow... that's a whole load of questions. I would google it, but upon past experience it's hard to get all the information in one spot and any information given isn't plain english... and I believe the pros here can explain in such a way that I can understand... :D

Memory, along with your processor, determine how fast the system will run, how many processes it can handle, and so on. Using Linux on a server is a good idea, because Linux is not usually memory intensive.

The trays are for different devices, such as CD ROM, DVD ROM, Floppy, etc.

All the hard drives are for a RAID configuration. Basiclly, data is written to each hard drive at the same time, and when or if one hard drive fails, the other is supposed to be able to keep going without missing a beat. RAID is used for redundancy.

IMO, I would go with SATA instead of what you have selected SCSI- SCSI is what servers used to use :)

Controllers are built on board or come as an expansion (PCI) board. They basically control the data going to and from the drive. If you look inside your case, and see where the IDE cable from the hard drive connects to the motherboard- that slot on the board is a controller. It controls the flow of information.

Management software is just what it implies- software that will help you configure and control your server. Since you are going to use Linux- I wouldn't worry about it, because you have all the tools in Linux to use.

NOS- Network Operating System. Ever heard of Netware? By Novell- it's a network operating system.

Your network card would be used to connect to the router/switch or modem.

There is RIAD 1-5 Here's a link

Hot swap- Click Here

Backplane

Google is your friend in cases like this. All the information is there. Try these links, and read some info. Hope this clears some things up for you. Is this server going to be for anything specific?

I see... so use SATA, not SSCI? What's the difference?

This server will be mainly used for a site, but also Flash game servers and multiplayer dedicated servers. The larger capacity, less RPM drives will have Raid more than 1, and the smaller capacity, higher RPM drives will have RAID 1.

I don't think computer-servers are very good... there's only so much you can stuff in there.

but in order to have a rackmount or blade server it costs wai much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
besides in the first year or soo you won't have many people coming to and fro your website. why purchase a ton of bandwith in a rackmount unless you want to pay ATON of moolah for ATON of bandwith that won't be used. so basicly upgrade to a rackmount after your website gets popular, or register for $20 a website at www.bravenet.com or something.

I guess computer servers are the practical thing right now... got a reliable guide?

SCSI is now up to ultra 320, that is 320 MB/s

SATA drives support speeds up to 10,000 rpm and mean time between failure (MTBF) levels up to 1 million hours under an !!!EIGHT HOUR!!!, low-duty cycle.

SCSI drives support up to 15,000+ rpm and an MTBF of 1.4 million hours under a !!!24-hour duty!!! cycle

comparing SATA and SCSI is like apples and oranges.

SATA drives can be used in servers, just don't use them in really really really important servers that require high availability :)

steferfootball said:
but in order to have a rackmount or blade server it costs wai much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
besides in the first year or soo you won't have many people coming to and fro your website. why purchase a ton of bandwith in a rackmount unless you want to pay ATON of moolah for ATON of bandwith that won't be used. so basicly upgrade to a rackmount after your website gets popular, or register for $20 a website at www.bravenet.com or something.

You are retarded. :(

Back
Top Bottom