pc freezing

feckie20

Solid State Member
This problem has had me stumped for the last 5 days, please help me!! please

Problem: My computer freezes randomly while watching videos. It may take 2 min or 30 min but it always happens and i must restart the computer.

All this has happened after i installed the cpu from a xp2100 to a sempron 3000 socket a and updated the bios.

Specs:

Albatron 6600gt video agp
Asus a7v880 motherboard
- onboard ac 97
- onboard marvel yukon nic
Sempron 3000+ stock
1 1/2 gig ddr 333
wd 120gb sata
Thermaltake 480 watt

It is service pack 1 at the moment

Things i have tried:

- reinstalled drivers
- unistalled drivers, restarted and installed version 77.77 video driver
- reinstalled windows
- updated bios with different updates with no success to the problem (asus 1004, 1008)
- video, cpu and motherboard temps are acceptable.
- power supply is giving a steady reading from asus probe utilities
- ran memtest86 which gave no errors
- ran prime95 which passed

this could be my video card that is causing the problem but i am in desperate need of your help!

thank you

i would bet on the video card.
can you try using the onboard video card, too see if it still happens then?
woz

unfortunately i dont have onboard vid. im doing a complete format of my harddrive because i have been down every other trail. If this does not solve it then i will have to presume its the video.

Is there a way to test the video cards, not 3dmark or anything but something to say that this card has corrupt or bad memory???

Also while moving files from one partition to the other it froze. this is the first time it has frozen while not playing a movie. ironically it was copying a movie file (one that i havent watched while all this is playing). if the full format and reinstall of windows doesnt work then i will try putting the card in my flatmates computer tommorow.

Before copying the file open TaskManager, set it so that the update level is high. copy the movie file watch the cpu usage.

I have had the same problem with dodgy movies downloaded from the net. I couldn't even delete the file through explorer as it seems to interrogate it for information and locks up - so had to use command prompt to delete it.

Remove some memory so that you only have one stick in.

Also try running in safe mode (copying files etc to see if it works)

May the Hoff be with you....always

60 to 77% while moving a movie with 32 processes going. one instance had 100%. i will watch a movie and see how it performs.

while having a movie running it runs around 25%, with this forum open and scrolling up and down really fast it gets up to 100%. That isnt good.

just froze while watching a movie, processor was at 24%.This after the reformat of my hard drive and installation of windows. drivers are updated. When i get back to my olds house i will pick up my xp2100 cpu.

Is it new memory?

when you visit the old git, try his memory and see what happens.

You may find an old video card in my bedroom cupboards or under the bed to try.

Is it any movie? or is it just large files?

check that all of your pci cards are slotted in correctly

Have you tried running in safe mode?

year old, i've done a mem test and its fine. just copied a movie from my flatmates computer and its been running for a fair while now :). finished a whole movie yay

Back
Top Bottom