how to know which ram to buy

Knowing your current RAM type and speed would help. Or is that what you're asking to know?

edit n/m for some reason the comp spec. page didnt fully load the first time, i see what I was looking for now....yeah i would say that RAM should work as long as there is another open memory slot for it.

Thanks. Actually I updated the program that gave me those specs and reuploaded the updated file onto my server. I know there's another slot. I think I'll take the plunge since the price seems right. Just wondering, what particularly were you looking for to see if it'd work?

Thanks again for your help!

adams2k said:
Just wondering, what particularly were you looking for to see if it'd work?

I just looked to see if the current RAM was DDR2 and that it was SODIMM(for laptops). Also one other thing to point out, it looks like the RAM you want to buy is faster than the RAM you currently have. The site is a little unclear but it looks like it's saying the memory is PC4200 and it looks like from the specs you posted that the memory you have now is PC3200 (judging from the 200MHz frequency). Now it isn't crucial that both memory sticks are the same speed as it will still work but the performance won't be as good as having two of the same speed(preferably two of the faster ones) since the slower one will obviously handicap the faster one's speed. You will notice much better performance if you bought two memory sticks of speed PC4200 but that's your choice of course.

Ah, thanks. I noticed that too and was unsure what it meant.

So in that case, buying two 512s of speed PC4200 would be about the same as adding a GB to my current 512 MB... wouldn't that be better than having two 512s?

Thanks again.

adams2k said:
Ah, thanks. I noticed that too and was unsure what it meant.

So in that case, buying two 512s of speed PC4200 would be about the same as adding a GB to my current 512 MB... wouldn't that be better than having two 512s?

Thanks again.

If u are getting 1GB of that pc-4200 ram then just throw away that pc-3200 ram. Because if u have it there, then the pc-4200 rams will work at pc-3200 speeds. Which would mean quite a big loss in speed.

Your best bet would to look at the ram stick, take it out channce are it'll have the key information on the stick, and write it down, and then you need to simply go to a site and order the same type and IT SHOULD WORK. We need detialed specs to tell you for sure it'll work.

Thanks for your help...

... the school actually will pick and install the RAM if I want (it's a school-issued laptop). I've looked at the recommended RAM before though and it'd cost at least double the price of this RAM for a 512 MB PC3200.

In that case it'd be even cheaper to buy two 512 MB PC4200, would that be almost guaranteed to work if I bought two of these and replaced my single PC3200?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom