My Hard Drive just arrived today but i got no idea what to do

murray1

Beta member
I brought a Western Digital 120GB IDE HDD and it arrived by post today. All i got was the product, no booklet on what to do. Nothing.

Im a complete amateur at this, ive seriously got no idea on what to do. Ive got no damn idea what do then when i get into the PC and quite worried i might damage my computer altogether. I mean is it as simple as just getting my current HDD out and then replacing it with this new one. I want to make this new HDD the main HDD. My current one is just corrupt and doesnt work at all.

Then i still got no idea on what to do when i do fix the HDD in. How do i set it up?

Also i dont really need to worry about current files as i lost all my music and work a few weeks ago when my computer just lost it altogether.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide on what to do? Because im seriously lost.

ok, if your old hdd is broken, you will need a new o/s windows xp, 2000 ect ect. if you have a windows disk you can move onto the next step.
turn off the power to your p.c and unplug it. take the side panel off and make sure you are grounded while going inside it. ths will remove the chance of a static discharge. now you can see what your new hdd looks like, so find the old hdd and remove the leads which are attached to it. make note of where they were locateed.
the new hdd might have come with a new ide lead, change te old one for your new one. make sure you observe the way it went in and insert your new lead to your motherboard.fit your new hdd where you removed the old one from, then attach your ide lead. now attach your power lead.
now it down to you to install the operating systen (o/s). if you have your xp disc insert it into your disc drive. and follow the promps when you boot up.
woz

Recently I had my first experience building a computer. My hard drive is Seagate and it didn't come with anything either. In my case, the mfg. website had a lot of info to download and software downloads to format their hard drives. I'm sure Western has the same stuff available.

Back
Top Bottom