How to overclock a semptron 300+

djbizzy69

Solid State Member
Hi i need info on how to over clock my AMD Semptron 3000+ i have an
asusA7V8X-LA mother board with an AMD Semptron 3000+ and i have tried to change the bus speeds in the bios but there isn't an option to do so is there anything else i can do? please help me

are you sure? what BIOS and revision is it?

i have a Sempron 64 2800+ that i am overclocking from 1.6Ghz to 2.08Ghz on stock voltage... (i will be stepping it further, to get more ram bandwith, as i put the ram on a divider down to DDR333, and clocked it back up with the FSB to about DDR406, but i KNOW it runs stable up to DDR460 on stock voltage.)

in the BIOS, if it's an Award BIOS, under the Cell Menu, there should be an option change the CPU Bus... the default is 200 (the multiplier on the latest AMD revisions is locked, so you can't raise it.) so, the 3000+ is set at 200x9 = 1.8Ghz... you should be able to raise the FSB... step it til it gets unstable.. then pull it back to the last setting where you were stable...

then, if you want... try putting the ram on a divider, in the BIOS where you can set the DRAM timings, if you change the base from 200 down to 166 (if you have PC3200) you can push the FSB on the processor higher, and the ram will compensate as tho it were DDR333 + the CPU overclock... instead of DDR400 + the CPU Overclock... and you will get more from the CPU while the ram stays stable...

if you push the FSB too far, remember to lower the HT multiplier... i had my HT as high as 1900mhz, but it's a little iffy at those speeds, since stock 1600mhz..

my setup: (still stepping my overclock, to get some more out of my RAM, but for now, it's stable like this)

CPU - AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 1.6Ghz (OC'd to 260x8 = 2.08Ghz) HT x3 35C idle, 43C load
RAM - GeIL PC3200 CL2.5 (divided at DDR333 + FSB Overclock = DDR406)
MOBO - MSI K8N Neo-V nForce3 250

Just go into every option untill you find the FSB. Thats what you use to overclock

nope could my mother board just not be able to over clock or could compaq have done something to stop me from doing it :confused:

djbizzy69 said:
nope could my mother board just not be able to over clock or could compaq have done something to stop me from doing it :confused:

yeah... you are screwed... (someone tell me if i am wrong)

Compaq locks up the BIOS on their boards so you can't overclock... which is smart on their part... the last thing they want, is your grandmother poking around the BIOS and setting her FSB to 300....

i had an old Compaq uWave socket A motherboard that was that way...

you can try to flash the BIOS, but i wouldn't recommend it. Compaq usually uses some sort of proprietary motherboard BIOS, that if you try to flash with something is not Compaq-related, you will turn your motherboard into a dog-food tray.

there may be some on-the-fly software that you can use to OC in windows... but i am not sure... i have always done my OCing in the BIOS.. on aftermarket, custom PCs.

in general, overclocking pre-built PCs from major companies, like Compaq/HP, Dell, Gateway and the like... is quite a pain, since they aren't manufacturing PCs to give you the ability to turn your Sempron 3000+ into a 3400+... they want you to buy the PC they make, with an ACTUAL 3400+, because it costs more.

Back
Top Bottom