My Athlon overclock

reggie_da_man said:
How expensive is that?

It appears to be 200 bucks...

Gigabyte has a water cooling Kit with 1/2 inch clear tubing for 75 bucks less. That kit only has 3/8 inch tubing, which SUCKS! Sure, their waterblocks are very nice, but I can't say the same for their kits.

I'd rather wait for OCZ's new phase-change cooler made by Chilly1. :D Now you don't need to pay big bucks just to get the same performance as the bigger brands. Last I heard (thanks to Ownage) the OCZ phase-change cooler costs about $400-ish.

Quinton McLeod said:

It appears to be 200 bucks...

Gigabyte has a water cooling Kit with 1/2 inch clear tubing for 75 bucks less. That kit only has 3/8 inch tubing, which SUCKS! Sure, their waterblocks are very nice, but I can't say the same for their kits.

It has been proven on ocforums that 3/8 and 1/2 tubing dont make a huge difference. 1*C at most. Also,think about the quality when you think about waterblocks. Are Gigabyte's waterblocks lapped to 0.0003"? I dont think so. Swiftech makes the highest quality waterblocks that i know of.

I dont see how you get it to run so cool...When I run the voltages that high it idles at 50'C :( Ill think I wont try and get it any higher.

Look at this overclock

PCMark04.jpg

thats a nice overclock. Care you run SuperPI? What kind heatsink are you using? And idling at 50*C is not good for your processor. And ouch, 1.75V is too high even for water. It might just fry that chip instantly if you any higher.

ownage said:
thats a nice overclock. Care you run SuperPI? What kind heatsink are you using? And idling at 50*C is not good for your processor. And ouch, 1.75V is too high even for water. It might just fry that chip instantly if you any higher.

I agree... Anything above 1.65 is just too high. Tune it down a bit and maybe increase the multiplier or the HTT and see what you get.

ownage said:
It has been proven on ocforums that 3/8 and 1/2 tubing dont make a huge difference. 1*C at most. Also,think about the quality when you think about waterblocks. Are Gigabyte's waterblocks lapped to 0.0003"? I dont think so. Swiftech makes the highest quality waterblocks that i know of.

I wasn't debating the waterblocks. I know Swiftech makes awesome waterblocks. However 3/8 tubing is tiny tiny. 1/2 inch tubing means that more water is hitting the surface of the waterblock. That allows for the heat to move away from the processor more quickly through the water than with 3/8 tubing. Haven't you ever heard of the saying (as far as liquid cooling is concerned), "The more water on the surface, the better?"

It's a little higher than a 1*C difference between the sizes. 1/2 inch keeps the processor much cooler by perhaps 5C.

Its not my overclock...I can only reach 2.7. But the voltages have to be mental and its always unstable

Yea well I ran Prime95 for about 10 hours at 2.7GHz and my max temp was 51*C @ 1.69V. On stock cooling! Got to be carefull.

Oh yea I don't wan't to spend $200-400USD when I'm in Canada on cooling. For that price I'll just buy a new freaking CPU. lol

Back
Top Bottom